Draft minutes of Full Council meeting 9 January 2018

St. Mary Bourne Parish Council

www.stmarybourne-pc.gov.uk

 

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

Tuesday 9 January 2018 in the Club Room, Village Hall at 7.30pm

 

Present: The Chair, Cllr David Peart and Cllrs Bridget Culley, Katie Dixon, Tony Grunsell, Tony Styles, Carole Whitlock and Hugo Wurzer and the clerk Jo Exelby.

 

Members of the Public in attendance:  None

 

1.     Apologies for absence:  Cllrs Phil Jeffery, Ray Randall, BDBC Cllr Graham Falconer and HCC Cllr Tom Thacker

2.     Declarations of interest: None

3.     The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 18 December 2017

3.1.       Having been previously circulated, Cllr Styles proposed that they were a true record and should be signed.  The proposal was seconded by Cllr Dixon and unanimously agreed by the council.

3.2.       Status of the actions agreed at the meeting

There was a discussion of the actions agreed and the following points were made: 

·       The situation of the obstructed access onto the footpath by Bells Meadow is ongoing and the Chair will write to Hyde Housing.

·       Regarding the building project started in SMB, apparently without planning permission and outside of permitted development, Cllr Styles notified the council that BDBC have made a site visit and contacted the owners.  It was agreed that the clerk will contact the relevant planning officer to support the neighbours’ complaints, given that it has been suggested that the owners have reported that they are intentionally working towards retrospective planning permission.

·       The Highways group proposals for Community Funded Initiatives are now ready for submission to Hampshire Highways and the clerk will complete the application.

·       The Flood & Emergency group are working with Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust to finalise the agreement for them to hold the National Flood Management Grant on the parish council’s behalf.

·       Cllr Culley has been in touch with David Smith at Myddelton & Major about the possible sale of Black Garden.  He has indicated that the land might be put up for sale by tender, possibly in the Spring.  The parish council has registered the land as an Asset of Community Value and so will have a Community Right to Bid, which gives the community 6 months to raise the funds to bid for it.  Cllr Styles suggested that St Peter’s Church may be interested in supporting a bid, if the land could be used for parking.  Cllr Dixon will raise the matter with the vicar.  It was agreed that the clerk will keep in touch with David Smith.

·       The Chair noted that Clem Jones has arranged a meeting with a representative from OpenReach at which it is hoped we will have an update on how each property in the parish will be affected by the Upgrade. 

4.     Borough & County Councillor Reports

4.1.       Borough Councillor’s Report

By email, Cllr Falconer reported that the Neighbourhood Plan referendum date has been put back to 20 February.

4.2.       County Councillor’s Report:  None 

5.     Governance

5.1.  Annual Parish Assembly — discuss format

The Chair proposed that the meeting start at 7:30pm with refreshments, giving parishioners an opportunity to view the reports which will be put up as posters on presentation boards, rather than printed.  The report authors will be invited to answer questions on their reports as parishioners circulate.  The clerk will put the reports onto the parish council website and printed copies will be made after the meeting for those who request them.  The chair’s formal presentation will commence at 8:00pm.

Cllr Styles suggested that we invite a guest speaker and Cllr Dixon suggested that they speak at the end of the meeting, since the formal section of the Assembly will be shorter than previously.  After discussion, it was agreed that the Chair will ask Ali Morse of the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust if she will give a presentation on the Watercress and Winterbourne Project.

Cllr Styles agreed that he will be responsible for the marketing materials, including a banner and a post on BVS.  The clerk will find out the supplier details for last year’s banner.

5.2.  HALC residual parking statement

This was discussed and it was agreed that the council does want to send a statement supporting changes to legislation to make adequacy of residual parking a material planning consideration for both planning applications and for permitted development.  The chair will write a statement.

5.3.  HALC e-update – January 2018 (not on agenda):  Noted

6.     Planning

6.1.       Neighbourhood plan - update

The referendum date is confirmed as 20 February; voting will be in the Club Room.

The chair reported that BDBC have supplied reports for parishioners.  It was agreed that these will be put out in the Club Room.  As the clerk is not currently working in the parish office, Cllr Styles agreed to put a notice on BVS that they will be available during the library opening hours on Saturday mornings.  The clerk will also ask the shop to hold some copies.

Cllr Styles agreed to produce marketing materials, including a banner, a post for the website and BVS and an article for February’s Hill & Valley.

6.2.       Change of date of April Planning Committee meeting

It was agreed that the meeting will be rescheduled to 17 April to avoid a clash with the Annual Parish Assembly. 

6.3.       Planning Applications for discussion at meeting

17/04113/LDEU     Breach Farm, Egbury Road, SMB, SP11 6DQ — Certificate of Lawfulness for the use of agricultural barn to be used for miscellaneous storage (B8)

Decision:               No objection

 

17/04133/FUL        Land adjacent to 4 Upper Wyke Cottages, 1 & 2 Coronation Cottages, Upper Wyke — Demolition of 1& 2 Coronation Cottages and erection of one 5 bed dwelling with detached 2-bay garage and one 3 bed dwelling (amended scheme to that approved under 17/00750/FUL)

Decision:               No objection

 

17/04069/FUL        Jubilee Villa, SMB — Division of property to re-instate as two separate dwellings, comprising one 3 bed and one 2 bed properties

Decision:               No objection

 

6.4.       Trees — Notice of Intent:  None

6.5.       Advice of Planning Applications considered by BDBC

 

17/03459/HSE       Buckets Down Farm House, Upper Woodcott, RG28 7PZ — Construction of link structure between the rear of the farmhouse and converted farm building

Granted on 21/12/17

 

17/03305/LBC       Buckets Down Farm House, Upper Woodcott, RG28 7PZ — Construction of link structure between the rear of the farmhouse and converted farm building

Granted on 21/12/17

 

17/02582/FUL        The White House, Stoke, SP11 0LU — Change of use of land to residential land and construction of a tennis court (part retrospective)

 Refused on 22/12/17

 

6.6.       Planning applications withdrawn to be noted:  None

6.7.       Planning appeals:  None

6.8.       Compliance issues

This was discussed under 3.2. 

6.9.       Other parish councils’ planning matters:  None

6.10.    Bank Top development (not on agenda)

Cllr Wurzer raised the issue of rubbish which has fallen or been thrown over the fence from the site onto the bank above the road over the period when it operated as a scrap yard.  It is not known what this rubbish consists of and it may contain hazardous materials.  It was noted that this will need clearing by the developers when they are clearing the site.

7.     Finance

7.1.       Monthly accounts — December 2017 

Date

Received from/paid to

Total

Treasurers account

Business Bank Instant account

Fixed term deposit

Petty cash

 

Ringfenced funds included in Business Bank Instant account

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lengthsman scheme

Flood prevention

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Note 1

Note 2

Opening balance at 30/11/17

£64,291.81

£1,032.90

£43,249.13

£20,000.00

£9.78

 

£8,680.00

£4,300.00

Transfer agreed at Full Council 18/12/17

 

£3,200.00

-£3,200.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Receipts

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11/12/17

Vitacress — flood prevention grant

 

 

£1,500.00

 

 

 

 

£1,500.00

11/12/17

Lloyds — bank interest

 

 

£1.91

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Payments

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agreed at Full Council meeting 18/12/17 (previously reported in minutes)

 

-£3,052.37

 

 

 

 

-£1,050.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Available funds at 30/11/17

£62,741.35

£1,180.53

£41,551.04

£20,000.00

£9.78

 

£7,630.00

£5,800.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Add:  unpresented cheques

 

£292.50

 

 

 

 

 

 

Closing bank at bank & in hand at 30/11/17

£63,033.85

£1,473.03

£41,551.04

£20,000.00

£9.78

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Note 1:  Lengthsman grants from HCC held on behalf of 13 associate parish and town councils.

Note 2:  Grant money from HCC (in 2017), SW and Vitacress (2016 and 2017) that has been supplied for flood prevention work on The Bourne.

 

 

Payments made prior to the meeting:

 

Date

Payee

Description

Amount

3/1/18

BT

Variable direct debit

99.46

6/1/18

Keith Pegden Contracting

Bourne regrading – stage 1 payment under quote 882017

£12,000.00

 

Total

£12,099.46

 

 

 

 

To facilitate these payments the clerk transferred £12,000 from the Business Bank Instant account to the Treasurers account. 

Payments agreed at the meeting:

Payee

Description

Amount

Jo Exelby

Salary

£774.79

Jo Exelby

Expenses

46.98

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance (PGGM)

SMB Grounds Maintenance – November

£579.00

PGGM

SMB Grounds Maintenance – December

£435.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — SMB

£600.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — Ashford Hill & Headley

£912.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — Whitchurch

£372.00

Eclipse Pest Control

Grounds Maintenance

£130.00

BT

Monthly direct debit

£39.48

Total

£3,889.25

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Provision of £1,000 is to be made for unforeseen expenses this month. It had been agreed to transfer £3,800 from the Business Bank Instant account to the Treasurers account.

The acceptance of the reconciled accounts for the month of December and of the payments made and to be made was proposed by Cllr Whitlock and seconded by Cllr Wurzer and unanimously agreed by the Full Council.

It was noted that several of the associate parishes within the Lengthsman Scheme have significant remaining balances, which need to be used by 31 March.  The chair will write to the relevant chairs.

8.     Flood & Emergency Group 

8.1.       Groundwater level statistics

Groundwater level statistics and commentary are provided by Sarah Cooney and Clem Jones.

Rolling 6-monthly figures

 

Level at the start of

 

January

December

November

October

September

August

Vernham Dean Bore1

94m

92.5m

94m

95m

92m

97m

Valley Farm Well, Stoke1

440cm

525cm

502cm

443cm

370cm

286cm

Holdway Cottages Gauge, SMB

0cm

0cm

0cm

0cm

2cm

19cm

Holdway Cottages Spring, SMB

Dry

Dry

Dry

Dry

Dry

Dry

Summerhaugh Well, SMB1

176.5

196cm

186cm

173cm

157cm

139cm

 Note 1 The measurements are from the surface down to the water level

The levels are generally rising, although fluctuating day to day after each heavy rainfall.

The rivulet is down in Stoke, but beginning to come back in SMB.  In SMB, the springs above the ford are running at the moment, there are pools in the stream bed and a trickle of flow from the pool above the ford into the garden at Summerhaugh.

Year on year comparison as at the start of January

 

2018

2017

2016*

2015^

Vernham Dean Bore

94m

91m

98m

105m

Valley Farm Well, Stoke

440cm

402cm

356cm

164cm

Summerhaugh Well, SMB

176.5cm

159cm

146cm

94cm

 ^ 2015 - the level was rising and the springs were up.

* 2016 - the level was rising and the river was down.

† 2017 - the level was falling and the river was down. 

8.2.       Progress on The Bourne regrading project and funding

The chair reported that the project is progressing well, with a large volume of material being removed from the silt traps.  Hampshire Highways have jetted 3 of the bridges and are coming back to finish the remaining bridges shortly. 

9.     Footpaths

9.1.       Status of fence onto footpath at Bourne Meadow

This was discussed under 3.2.

9.2.       Rights of Way cutting list

Cllr Styles agreed to provide a list for submission and the clerk has contacted Caroline Hoyes, who is also going to make suggestions.

9.3.       Footpath from Spring Hill Lane towards the burial ground (not on agenda)

Cllr Styles noted that one of the step supports has rotted and needs replacing.  The clerk will contact HCC to see if they can replace.

Cllr Styles also noted that some households backing on to this path are in the habit of putting their grass cuttings and other garden waste onto the path, which is a risk to the path users as it is quite narrow.  The clerk will write asking them to desist.

9.4.       Gate on the Test Way behind Denham Terrace (not on agenda)

Cllr Dixon reported that parishioners have complained to her about this gate as it hangs in such a way as to make the path user walk into nettles during the summer.

9.5.       Footpath from Lower Link (not on agenda)

The chair noted that there are £5,000 grants available from HCC for footpath resurfacing.  It was agreed that he will contact HCC for advice on resurfacing and rebuilding the bridges so that they are wide enough for wheelchairs.  Once a plan is in place, the parish council will contact the landowner for permission.

10.  Highways & Transport

10.1.    Feedback on proposals for new signage

This was discussed under 3.2.

10.2.    Egbury Road pull-ins

Cllr Dixon reported that Hampshire Highways might be able to harden 2 or 3 of the passing places during 2018/19.  The chair will produce a map and photos of the 3 highest priority locations.

10.3.    Turn around on Spring Hill Lane 

The chair reported that this had previously been discussed at council in April 2017.  The land does not belong to the parish council and it is not clear who does own it.  It was suggested that, as it is a ford, it may belong to Hampshire Highways.  The clerk will contact Hampshire Highways to ask them if they own it and if they would be happy for hard surface (probably scalpings) to be put down.  Cllr Dixon suggested that if they do own it, we could add the project to our application for the Community Funded Initiative work. 

10.4.    Speed limit signs on Spring Hill Road (not on agenda)

Cllr Wurzer noted that the speed limit signs on Spring Hill Lane have become obscured by foliage.  The clerk will ask the lengthsman to clear.

11.  Recreation Ground and Lake 

11.1.    Weekly Play Areas inspections report

The clerk summarised the current outstanding inspection issues, none of which are high risk.

11.2.    Model Yacht Club (not on agenda)

The chair noted that he had discussed 2017/18 charges with a club committee member and that he had invited him to the upcoming Recreation Ground & Lake meeting.

11.3.    Fishing syndicate update (not on agenda)

The clerk noted that she has received confirmation from Dave Scrase that the fishing syndicate will be managed by Alexander Martin from the start of the year.

11.4.    Parking requested on the MUGA (not on agenda) 

The clerk noted that she has received a request to open the MUGA for parking on 1 February for a memorial service.  This was agreed by the council.

12.  Item of Correspondence to be circulated

12.1.    HCC:  News for local councils 20 December 2017

Cllr Dixon noted that this contained information about grants for rural retailers and community enterprises.  The clerk will forward the information to Lara Madge.

Cllr Dixon also asked that the clerk set up a database of sources of grants.

12.2.    Access Hampshire:  Issue 6:  Noted

12.3.    Safer North Hampshire — January newsletter:  Noted

12.4.    RSN:  Growing a Rural Community Survey:  Noted 

12.5.    Police Funding Consultation Survey 2018/19 (not on agenda):  Noted

12.6.    Neighbourhood Policing Report – December 2017 (not on agenda):  Noted 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9:00pm.

These minutes are subject to approval at the Parish Council Meeting on 13 February 2018. 

Free business joomla templates