St Mary Bourne School

St Mary Bourne School is a small village primary school and has approximately 125 children on roll. The old school building, which is now turned into cottages (Ricket Way), had the date 1723 on it. From that date, if not earlier, it was a free school in part up to 1835, when it was altered and improved, and from that date up to 1859 it became wholly a free school and was liberally supported.

The present building bears the plaque [1860 National Schools 1860]. The building was erected by subscription aided by a Government grant. The Earl of Portsmouth was the principal donor and he, in fact, donated the land. The entire cost of the building was £1100. In 1878 a north wing was added as a classroom for the infants and this cost £139 10s. Mr. Rawlings, the first teacher at the school, began his duties in 1858 and he left in 1864. The staff of the school was, at this time, one certified master, a seamstress, one pupil teacher and, occasionally, a paid monitor.

In 1977 the school was extended and the head teacher's house, which is attached to the school, became part of the school building when the head teacher moved out. In this building programme an inside kitchen and toilets were added. A mezzanine floor was installed above the hall providing two classrooms and a library area.

In 1997 more building was done and this resulted in a purpose built classroom for the youngest children; a music/group room; new staff room and an extended school office. This building meant that the previous early years classroom could be developed into a library, staff work area and special needs teaching area. In 1999 the building comprised four classrooms, a library, staff work area, special needs teaching area, a hall, a kitchen, toilets and cloakroom area.

After ten years at the school, the head teacher, Mrs Joy Windram, took early retirement in 2001. She was succeeded by Mrs Sally Jenkins who left the school in 2008 when Mrs J Hopkins took over as Acting Headteacher. The current Headteacher is Mr Jonathan Nelson.

In 2002, with five classes (two in key stage 1 and three in key stage 2), work began to build a classroom at the back of the school and convert an undersized room (the old school house sitting room and kitchen area) into a Library. At the same time a small special needs area and some more cloak room space was created

Today the school is much larger than it was 150 years ago, with 125 pupils, a head teacher, a full time administrator, 5 full time teachers and 1 part time, 6 part time assistants in the class rooms and a number of other support staff.

The school's aim is "Happiness and high achievement for all our children" and this has been born out by the recent results. Village schools in Hampshire are thriving and this is certainly true of our village school. In 2002 the school received the SCHOOL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD from the government.
See website:

Free business joomla templates