Draft minutes of Full Council meeting 13 March 2018

St. Mary Bourne Parish Council

www.stmarybourne-pc.gov.uk

 

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

Tuesday 13 March 2018 in the Club Room, Village Hall at 7:30pm

 

Present: The Chair, Cllr David Peart and Cllrs Bridget Culley, Tony Grunsell, Ray Randall, Tony Styles and Carole Whitlock, BDBC Cllr Graham Falconer (for part of the meeting), HCC Cllr Tom Thacker (for part of the meeting) and the clerk Jo Exelby.

 

Members of the Public in attendance:  None

 

Time for Public Speaking:  None

 

1.     Apologies for absence:  Cllrs Katie Dixon, Phil Jeffery and Hugo Wurzer

 

2.     Declarations of interest: None

 

3.     The minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 13 February 2018

 

3.1.       Having been previously circulated, Cllr Styles proposed that they were a true record and should be signed.  The proposal was seconded by Cllr Randall and unanimously agreed by the council.

 

3.2.       Status of the actions agreed at the meeting

 

There was a discussion of the actions agreed and the following points were made:

 

·       The clerk reported that she has received an email from Tim Davis at BDBC regarding Bells Meadow saying that the planning breach has been resolved and the hedge will be planted mid-March, Hyde Housing are retaining management of the site and not handing over to Sovereign Housing as expected and that he is trying to find out a contact name at Hyde Housing who is responsible for the ongoing management of the site.

 

4.     County & Borough Councillor Reports

 

4.1.       County Councillor’s Report

 

Cllr Thacker joined the meeting after 7.5 and gave the following report:

 

·       HCC have increased their precept by 6%, this is necessary because central government requires us to make a further £140 million savings in 2018/2019.

·       The county council has written to support the building of a third runway at Heathrow.  He noted that most of North Hampshire is included in the Heathrow Economic Impact Area.

·       The county council has written to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government asking that the idea of a Combined Authority be revived, but without the requirement to have an elected mayor for the Authority.  The Combined Authority would encompass HCC and Southampton, Portsmouth and Isle of Wight Unitary Authorities.

·       Cllr Thacker has written to Hampshire Highways about the severity of the pothole problem in the area, but he acknowledged that it is an issue for central government as HCC does not have sufficient funds.  He noted that the public should report all potholes on HCC’s website as this increases the pressure on Hampshire Highways to fix them.

 

Cllr Thacker then left the meeting.

 

4.2.       Borough Councillor’s Report:

Cllr Falconer joined the meeting after 7.5 and gave the following report:

 

·       He noted that Tim Davis has been working to resolve the parish council’s issues with the maintenance of Bells Meadow as discussed in 3.2 above.

·       He reported that he is currently assisting a SMB resident with the passage of their planning application through the planning department.  Cllr Culley and Cllr Styles raised the issue of the apparent ease with which individuals can be granted retrospective planning permission and that this undermines the planning process and, in particular, the parish council’s role in it.  Cllr Falconer noted that the input of the parish council carries a lot of weight in the planning decision.  He also noted that he can refer any planning application to the BDBC Development Committee if he feels that the decision should be made by elected officials rather than by officers under delegated powers.

·       The Boundary Commission’s consultation on ward boundaries for BDBC has reopened.  It is likely that the result will be a reduction in the number of wards from 60 to 54, each with about 7,000 electors and three borough councillors.  The new wards are likely to be introduced in time for the elections in May 2019.

·       The SMB Neighbourhood Plan will be passed by BDBC on 22 March.

 

The chair noted that the meeting had already discussed S106 funds relating to Hurstbourne Station and that he thought that the parish council had secured an allocation of the funding as the residents would be using facilities in SMB.  Cllr Falconer noted that the parish council had lodged and interest but that the allocation is not available in any public document.  He will follow up with BDBC to find out if the council has received an allocation.

 

Cllr Falconer then left the meeting.

 

5.     Governance

 

5.1.  Annual Parish Assembly — update

 

The chair noted that we are expecting a representative from Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust to give a presentation on the Watercress & Winterbourne Project, either Ali Morse or a member of her team.

 

Cllr Styles noted that he will put up the banners on 24 March, post on BVS and put up some posters in the hamlets.

 

5.2.  NALC response to DEFRA consultation on crime & poor performance in waste sector — deadline 9 march:  Noted

 

5.3.  HALC monthly e-update — March 2018:  Noted

 

5.4.  Local Government Boundary Commission — consultation on BDBC ward boundaries has reopened — deadline 7 May

 

Noted.  This was discussed further when Cllr Falconer arrived and reported under 4.2 above.

 

5.5.  BDAPTC — next meeting 26 March

 

The chair will attend.

 

6.     Planning

 

6.1.       CIL Examiners Report published — BDBC plans to adopt CIL 22 March, effective 25 June

 

The new scheme was noted.  Cllr Culley raised the fact that the parish council had made representations to BDBC for an allocation of S106 money from the development at Hurstbourne Station.  The chair suggested that the meeting ask Cllr Falconer about it when he arrived.  The subsequent discussion is noted in 4.2 above.

 

6.2.       Planning Applications for consultation at the meeting

 

18/00587/RET       The White House, Stoke, SP11 0LU   — Retrospective change of use to residential land and retention of garden sheds.

 

Decision:               No objection

 

17/04227/LBC       Flowerpot Cottage, Church Street, SMB, SP11 6BL — Replacement of French doors to rear elevation.

 

Decision:               No objection

 

17/04228/LBC       Flowerpot Cottage, Church Street, SMB, SP11 6BL — Internal alterations to kitchen wall/door opening.

 

Decision:               No objection

 

6.3.       Trees — Notice of Intent:  None

 

6.4.       Advice of Planning Applications considered by BDBC

 

17/01807/RET       Disused watercress bed adjacent to the Bourne Valley Inn, Upper Link, SMB — Change of use of land from agricultural to use as garden ancillary to public house.  Erection of hard standing and greenhouse.

 

Granted on 6/3/18

 

6.5.       Planning applications withdrawn to be noted:  None

 

6.6.       Planning appeals:  None

 

6.7.       Compliance issues

 

The resolution of the planning breach with regard to the replanting of the hedge at Bells Meadow was discussed under 3.2.

 

6.8.       Other parish councils’ planning matters:  None

 

 

 

7.     Finance

 

7.1.  Fixed Term 1 year deposit — maturity 20 March

 

It was agreed that the deposit should be reinvested into a new Fixed Term deposit for one year.

 

7.2.  Audit — date set 31 May:  Noted

 

7.3.  HALC — grant funding advice at HBT

 

It was agreed that the clerk would reply asking for 3 places for SMB parish council, subject to the final date.

 

7.4.  Clerk’s salary 2018/19

 

It was agreed that the clerk’s salary would increase to SCP21 from 1 April 2018.


 

7.5.       Monthly accounts — February 2018

 

Date

Received from/paid to

Total

Treasurers account

Business Bank Instant a/c

Fixed term deposit

Petty cash

 

Ringfenced funds included in Business Bank Instant account

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lengthsman scheme

Flood prevention

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Note 1

Note 2

Opening balance at 31/1/18

£70,904.46

£906.99

£49,987.69

£20,000.00

£9.78

 

£6,560.00

£15,800.00

Transfer to make final payment for Bourne Regrading

 

£34,404.00

-£34,404.00

 

 

 

 

 

Transfer agreed at Full Council 13/2/18

 

£3,100.00

-£3,100.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Receipts

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9/2/18

Invoice 15/17 — Whitchurch lengthsman overspend

 

 

£110.00

 

 

 

£110.00

 

9/2/18

Lloyds — bank interest

 

 

£1.39

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Payments

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1/2/18

Keith Pegden – Bourne Regrading

 

-£34,404.00

 

 

 

 

 

£15,800.00

14/2/18

Agreed at Full Council 13/2/18 (previously reported in minutes)

 

-£2,986.20

 

 

 

 

-£830.00

 

28/2/18

Agreed at Planning Committee 27/2/18

 

-£324.99

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Available funds at 28/2/18

£33,300.66

£695.80

£12,595.08

£20,000.00

£9.78

 

£5,840.00

£0.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Add:  unpresented cheques

 

£100.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

Closing bank at bank & in hand at 28/2/18

£33,400.66

£795.80

£12,595.08

£20,000.00

£9.78

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Note 1:  Lengthsman grants from HCC held on behalf of 13 associate parish and town councils.

Note 2:  Grant money from HCC (in 2017), Southern Water, Vitacress (2016 and 2017) and Southern Electricity that has been supplied for flood prevention work on The Bourne.

 


Payments agreed at the Planning Committee meeting 27/2/18:

 

Payee

Description

Amount

Tony Styles

Expenses relating to Referendum publicity

£31.35

Parish Online

Mapping

£120.00

VSafety

High vis jackets, gloves & first aid kit

£63.96

Viking Direct

Litter pickers

£109.68

Total

£324.99

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Payments made prior to the meeting:

 

Payee

Description

Amount

BT

Monthly direct debit

£40.49

Total

£40.49

 

 

 

 

Payments agreed at the meeting:

 

Payee

Description

Amount

Jo Exelby

Salary

£774.79

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance (PGGM)

SMB Grounds Maintenance – February 2018

£627.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — SMB

£216.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — Burghclere

£384.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — Hurstbourne Tarrant

£312.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — East Woodhay

£420.00

Martin Clay

SMBCC — grounds maintenance

£385.00

Martin Clay

SMBCC — grounds maintenance

£156.00

Derek’s Garden Machinery

SMBCC — grounds maintenance

£319.17

Derek’s Garden Machinery

SMBCC — grounds maintenance

£262.87

SMB Village Centre

Hire of Parish Office

£2,100.00

Total

£5,956.83

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Provision of £1,000 is to be made for unforeseen expenses this month. It had been agreed to transfer £6,100 from the Business Bank Instant account to the Treasurers account.

 

The acceptance of the reconciled accounts for the month of December, the payments made and payments to be made was proposed by Cllr Styles and seconded by Cllr Whitlock and unanimously agreed by the Full Council.


8.     Flood & Emergency Group

 

8.1.       Groundwater level statistics

 

Groundwater level statistics and commentary are provided by Sarah Cooney and Clem Jones.

 

Rolling 6-monthly figures

 

 

Level at the start of

 

Mar 18

Feb 18

Jan 18

Dec 17

Nov 17

Oct 17

Vernham Dean Bore1

106m

102m

94m

92.5m

94m

95m

Valley Farm Well, Stoke1

146cm

238cm

440cm

525cm

502cm

443cm

Holdway Cottages Gauge, SMB

22cm

12cm

0cm

0cm

0cm

0cm

Holdway Cottages Spring, SMB

Running

Dry

Dry

Dry

Dry

Dry

Summerhaugh Well, SMB1

91cm

113cm

176.5cm

196cm

186cm

173cm

 

Note 1 The measurements are from the surface down to the water level

 

Since Bourne Rivulet was regraded in Stoke, the level at which the springs break through in Valley Farm’s field is ~160cm below where we used to see it.

The rate of rise is slowing and the river is flowing through most of Stoke.  Gangbridge pond had a foot of water in.  At Summerhaugh the Spring in the garden is active, however the river is still not running through.

Year on year comparison as at the start of February

 

 

2018

2017

2016*

2015^

Vernham Dean Bore

106m

100m

114m

112m

Valley Farm Well, Stoke

146cm

275cm

114cm

122cm

Summerhaugh Well, SMB

91cm

123cm

71cm

74cm

 

^ 2015 - the level was falling and the river was flowing.

* 2016 - the level was rising and the river was flowing.

† 2017 - the level was rising and the river was down.

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.     Footpaths

 

The chair expressed the thanks of the parish council to the litter pickers who turned out in SMB on 10 March and to those planning to turn out in Stoke on 17 March and to Fiona Foote and Lisa Wood for organising the picks.  The chair reported that he has received a request that ‘No Littering’ signs be put up along the road, especially from Jamaica Farm to Hogdigging Cottages.  He noted that Hampshire Highways would have to be consulted on any signs.  Cllrs Randall and Whitlock noted that they thought such signs would not help and may be counterproductive.  It was agreed that more thought be given to the efficacy of such signage and advice will be sought from Hampshire Highways.

 

10.  Highways & Transport

 

10.1.    Community Funded Initiative — update

 

The clerk reported that the application had been submitted and the next stage was to have a scoping meeting with HCC.

 

10.2.    Lengthsman — redesign of the process

 

The clerk reported that she had proposed a new system of advance bookings for each parish.  The majority of feedback received had been positive.

 

10.3.    Bridge at Derrydown (not on agenda)

 

Cllr Styles reported that there was damage to the bridge at Derrydown.  It was noted that this is a private road and agreed that the clerk will take advice from Hampshire Highways as to who is responsible for maintenance of a bridge on an unadopted road.

 

11.  Recreation Ground and Lake

 

11.1.    Weekly Play Areas inspections report

 

The chair noted that he has taped off the flat swings in the Stoke play area which have been identified as high risk in the inspection report.  It was agreed that the clerk will talk to the Hampshire Playing Fields Association about the availability of grants for replacing them.

 

11.2.    SMB School — request to use recreation ground & pavilion 29 March

 

Agreed

 

11.3.    Stowe Sports — request to use recreation ground & MUGA 4-6 April

 

Agreed

 

11.4.    Football — request to use recreation ground one Sunday in April for SMB vs Whitchurch match

 

The clerk reported that SMB Cricket Club have home matches scheduled on 15 & 29 April and a pitch preparation day on 7 April.  It was agreed that only 1 April could be offered, which is Easter Sunday.  Cllr Randall noted that the ground is still very wet and it was agreed that the offer was weather dependent with the chair make the final decision as to whether the match could go ahead.

 

 

 

11.5.    Memorial service for Camilla Clutterbuck 16 March

 

The chair reported that he had received a request and agreed to the use of the MUGA for parking.

 

12.  Item of Correspondence to be circulated

 

12.1.    Hampshire Constabulary —  Monthly update for February 2018:  Noted

 

12.2.    Rural Services Network — Rural Opportunities Bulletin 7 March 2018:  Noted

 

12.3.    Warm Hubs Hampshire — Information Event 20 March 2018

 

Noted.  It was agreed that the clerk will forward this to Gib Hancock.

 

 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9:20pm.

These minutes are subject to approval at the Parish Council Meeting on 10 April 2018.

Free business joomla templates