Draft minutes of Full Council meeting 10 October 2017

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

Tuesday 10 October 2017 in the Club Room, Village Hall at 7.30pm

 

Present: The Chairman, Cllr David Peart and Cllrs Tony Styles, Katie Dixon, Philip Jeffery, Ray Randall, BDBC Cllr Graham Falconer and the clerk Jo Exelby.

 

Members of the Public in attendance: None

 

The proper business of the council then commenced.

 

1. Apologies for Absence:  Cllrs Culley, Grunsell, Whitlock and Wurzer and HCC Cllr Tom Thacker

 

2. Declarations of Interest:  None

 

3.1 The Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday 12 September 2017 (previously circulated).

 

Having been already circulated, Cllr Dixon proposed that they were a true record and should be signed; the proposal was seconded by Cllr Randall and unanimously agreed by the council.

 

3.2 Matters arising:

 

The Chairman reported that, following on from the last meeting, he has written to:

·         B&D Neighbourhood Watch Committee to notify them that the parish council do not feel that there is currently a need to restart the Neighbourhood Watch scheme as there is adequate cover with Bourne Valley Signpost and police alerts.

·         Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust volunteers suggesting they could work in the parish on riverbank restoration.  They have indicated that they are interested in this, provided materials are provided.

·         Andrew Ingle at BDBC to request notification of the total amount of S106/BEST money available to the parish council.  He is yet to reply.  This issue was discussed further under item 4.1.

 

4.  Borough & County Councillor Reports:

 

4.1  Borough Councillor’s Report:

 

Cllr Falconer reported the following:

 

·         A decision has been made on bin collection and collections will remain as they are.  BDBC is currently evaluating bids before selecting a provider.

·         BDBC is currently reviewing a report of potential sites as part of the Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA), which will come into play when the local plan ends in 2029.  He has reviewed the draft report and there is currently nothing identified in SMB.

·         Over £1m of funding has been allocated in the September round from the Local Infrastructure Fund, which provides capital funding to support projects that improve existing, or establish new, facilities for community, sport, education or public amenity use.  Any community group can apply.

·         Access to S106/BEST money — a number of Borough councillors have complained to officers about the lack of transparency about the funds available to parish councils under S106/BEST, the money provided by developers to improve community facilities.  An investigation is underway which will take a month or two to complete.

 

At this point the council discussed the complexity of accessing the S106 funds and some potential projects that might be undertaken with it.  CllrDixon suggested an outdoor table tennis table for the recreation ground and the provision of adult exercise equipment.  CllrDixon also raised the possibility of using some of the funds to purchase some land at Black Garden, if it became available, to provide a community asset.

 

The Chairman raised the issue of requiring a tree report for the council’s Batsford change of use application to provide a drop off/pick up area for SMB Primary School (agenda item 5.7).  The council feels that this requirement does not provide value for money.  Cllr Falconer agreed to take the matter up with Matthew Evans, Head of Planning & Infrastructure at BDBC.

 

4.2  County Councillor’s Report:  None

Cllr Falconer then left the meeting.

5. Items for discussion:

 

5.1 Bell’s Meadow:

 

The failure of the developer/Hyde Housing to reinstate the roadside hedge, as required by the planning application, was discussed.  It was agreed that the clerk will write again to Hyde Housing and copy in Cllr Falconer.  The Chairman will also write to the Countryside Access Officer about the matter.

 

5.2 Flood and Emergency Group (FEG) — Update:

 

5.2.1  Southern Water: Invitation to Annual Stakeholder Workshop, nearest location Southampton 30 October 2017:  Noted

5.2.2  Inside Government:  Invitation to Strategy & Networking Day 6 December 2017:  Noted

 

The Chairman reported that he is still waiting for the Flood Risk Permit before the work regrading the Bourne can begin.  He has written to Simon Cramp at HCC for advice about desilting under the bridges.

 

The Chairman and Sarah Cooney have attended a webinar on how to access funds from the National Flood Management Grant Fund, which is administered by the Environment Agency.  Funds can only be paid directly to a charity or other philanthropic organisation.  The EA have suggested that the parish council form a charity for the purpose.  Cllr Dixon suggested that the parish council could approach the Bourne Bright Waters charity to access funds.  She agreed to discuss with Paul Barry-Walsh.

 

Bourne Levels:

 

From Sarah Cooney (2/10/17):

Here is the well measurement at Valley Farm, Stoke. The measurement is taken from the top of the well down to the water level.

The level has dropped by 73cm since the 1st September, and is likely to continue falling through October.

The river bed is completely dry through Stoke.

 Rolling 6-monthly figures

2017

cm

d

Comments

2nd Apr

187

88

Level rising: springs up

2nd May

153

34

Level rising; river flowing

26th May

170

-17

Level falling; river down

30th Jun

226

-56

Level falling; river down

1st Aug

286

-60

Level falling; river down

1st Sep

370

-84

Level falling; river down

2nd Oct

443

-73

Level falling; river down

 

  Year on Year DataComparison

 Date

2014^

2015*

2016

2017

1 Oct

196cm

382cm

225cm

443cm

 ^ 2014 - springs were up in Valley Farm’s field

* 2015 - the level was falling and the river was down.

† 2016 - the level was falling and theriver was down.

From Clem Jones (1/10/17):

All levels are still dropping.

 

At mid-month the well was about 168 to 170 cm and the stream was just running down to the bridge in the Square.

 

Over the last few days the stream has effectively dried up except for a trickle into the standing ponds by the ford and in my back garden, even they are shrinking fast.

  

 

Location

1/10/17

1/9/17

Vernham Dean Bore

95m

92m

Gauge at Summerhaugh

0cm

2cm

Spring at Summerhaugh

Dry

Dry

Well at Summerhaugh

173cm

 

157cm

 

 

Guesses.

Some levels will increase in Nov as the August heavy rain works through.

Any serious flooding this spring is unlikely unless we get very heavy rain before Xmas.

 

5.3 Black Garden — Update: 

 

The use of S106 funds to purchase land was discussed under item 4.1.  Cllr Jeffery agreed to contact the land agent, David Smith, about the current possibility of purchasing land.  There was also a discussion about the possibility of asking to rent rather than purchase.

 

5.4 Electronic Speed Reminder Signs — Update:

 

The Chairman reported that he had met Adrian Morgan from BDBC on 10 October and they had driven around the parish identifying possible sites for speed reminder signs, which could be supplied and managed by BDBC or they could manage our own devices.  Adrian Morgan is to write with a proposal.

 

The clerk had obtained a quote for servicing the parish council’s own speed indicator device and it was agreed that she should go ahead with that.

 

5.5 Hill & Valley Magazine — Update:  None

 

5.6 Broadband — Update:

 

The Chairman reported that Clem Jones has been working on identifying funding available for remote areas.  The funding options are available for individual home owners, rather than the parish council.  It was agreed that the clerk will write to each of the householders in the parish who will not receive superfast broadband under the current plans, suggesting possibilities.

 

5.7   Batsford planning application — Update:  Fee proposal for tree report required to support the application:

 

This was discussed under item 4.1 whilst Cllr Falconer was present.

 

5.8 Village Centre — Use of Club Room as parish office:

 

The Chairman reported that, following discussions with the Village Centre management, the parish council’s rent for use of the Club Room will remain at £4,000 pa until the end of the financial year (end of March 2018).  There is a proposal for new charges from April 2018.  The Chairman will write to the Village Centre management in response to the proposal.

 

6. Finance:

 

6.1 The meeting to consider any projects, items, proposals involving expenditure for 2018/19 brought forward by councillors:

 

Cllr Styles requested that the parish council purchase items so that they are able to offer refreshments to visitors to the council.

  

6.2 Monthly accounts — September

 

Date

Received from/paid to

Total

Treasurers account

Business Bank Instant account

Fixed term deposit

Petty cash

 

Ringfenced funds included in Business Bank Instant account

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lengthsman scheme

Flood prevention

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Note 1

Note 2

Opening balance at 31/8/17

£74,409.82

£740.55

£49,665.57

£20,000.00

£3.70

 

£10,500.00

£4,300.00

Transfer agreed at Full Council 12/9/17

 

£8,500.00

-£8,500.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Receipts

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11/9/17

Lloyds — bank interest

 

 

£2.23

 

 

 

 

 

14/9/17

SMB Village Shop — annual rent

 

 

£1.00

 

 

 

 

 

18/9/17

BDBC — precept – 2nd instalment

 

 

£9,748.50

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Payments

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agreed at Full Council meeting 12/9/17 (previously reported in September minutes)

 

-£7,681.84

 

 

 

 

-£210.00

 

Agreed at Planning meeting 26/9/17:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

26/9/17

Derek Kane — expenses

 

-£20.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

26/9/17

SLCC — subscription

 

-£131.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

26/9/17

SLCC Enterprises – ILCA training

 

-£118.80

 

 

 

 

 

 

26/9/17

Eclipse Pest Control — pest control

 

-£130.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

26/9/17

Toby Bunce Tree Services — tree work at lake

 

-£400.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

5/10/17

HMRC — PAYE & NIC

 

-465.79

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Available funds at 30/9/17

£71,214.12

£293.12

£50,917.30

£20,000.00

£3.70

 

£10,290.00

£4,300.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Add:  unpresented cheques

 

£1,266.42

 

 

 

 

 

 

Closing bank at bank & in hand at 30/9/17

£72,480.54

£1,559.54

£50,917.30

£20,000.00

£3.70

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Note 1:  Lengthsman grants from HCC held on behalf of 14 associate parish and town councils.

Note 2:  Grant money from HCC (in 2017), SW and Vitacress (unspent monies from 2016) that has been supplied for flood prevention work on The Bourne.

 

 

 

Payments agreed at the meeting (10/10/17):

 

 

 

Payee

Description

Amount

Jo Exelby

Salary

£774.79

Jo Exelby

Expenses

£25.89

SMB Village Centre

Rent 1/10/17 – 31/3/18

£2,000.00

Anton Visual — binding

Binding

£3.60

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance (PGGM)

SMB Grounds Maintenance

£771.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — Ashmansworth

£192.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — East Woodhay

£60.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — Highclere

£108.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — Hurstbourne Tarrant

£840.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — Longparish

£576.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — Newtown

£504.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — SMB

£252.00

PGGM

Lengthsman — Whitchurch

£288.00

Rialtas Business Solutions

Accounts backup service

£144.00

Total

£6,539.38

 

   

Invoices raised but not yet received:

  

Date

Inv No.

To

Amount

11/9/17

12-17

HCC — Lengthsman grant for Kingsclere

£1,100.00

1/10/17

13-17

David Scrase – Fishing Syndicate

£728.00

Total

£1,828.00

  

Provision is to be made for £1,000 for any unforeseen expenses this month. It had been agreed to transfer £7,300 from the Business Bank Instant account to the Treasurers account.

  

The acceptance of the reconciled accounts for the month of August was proposed by Cllr Randall and seconded by Cllr Dixon and unanimously agreed by the Full Council.

  

The clerk reported that she had set up Internet Banking to make transfers between the accounts.  The use of Internet Banking to make payments was discussed and it was agreed that this would be implemented going forward.  The clerk will revise the Financial Regulations as required and bring to the Finance Committee meeting on 14 November.

  

7.  Planning:

  

7.1.1 Report from Planning Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 26 September 2017 (previously circulated):

  

7.1.2 Matters arising from the Report: None

  

7.2 Planning Applications for discussion at meeting:

  

17/03196/HSE            Springhill, Springhill Lane, SMB, SP11 6BG — Erection of a 0.8m wall, 1.8m fence & landscaping works.

  

Decision:  No objection

  

17/03073/HSE            Juniper Cottage, Stoke, SP11 0PG — Erection of two storey rear extension to form annexe accommodation following demolition of outbuilding.  Rendering of existing house and installation of replacement windows.

  

Decision:  No objection

  

17/03301/AGPD          Building at Priors Park, Stoke — Erection of extension to existing building – determination only as to whether permitted development – for PC information only.

  

7.3 Trees — Notice of Intent:

  

T/00386/17/TCA         Trestan Cottage, SMB — Crown lift & crown reduce one cherry:

  

Decision:  No objection

  

T/00387/17/TCA         Fairwood, SMB — Crown reduce, lift & thin four beeches:

  

Decision:  No objection

  

T/00390/17/TCA         Springhill, Springhill Lane, SMB — Fell hedge (mixed); fell four hollies; crown raise & reduce one yew; crown raise one Portuguese laurel:

  

Decision:  No objection

  

7.4 Advice of Planning Applications considered by BDBC:

  

7.4.1  — 17/00750/FUL — 1 & 2Coronation Cottages, Upper Wyke Lane — Demonlition of 1 & 2 Coronation Cottages and erection of 1 no 5 bed and 1 no 3 bed dwelling.

  

Granted on 11/9/17

  

7.4.2  — 17/02585/LBC — Peach House, Gangbridge Lane, SMB, SP11 6EW — Installation of 5 no replacement windows:

  

Granted on 19/9/17

  

7.5 Planning applications withdrawn to be noted:  None

  

7.6 Planning appeals:  None

  

7.7 Compliance:  None

  

7.8 Other parish councils’ planning matters:  None

  

7.9 Other Planning matters:  Invitation to Binley Farm Workshop to presentation on proposed development.

  

Noted

  

8.  Recreation Ground and Lake:

  

8.1 Weekly Play Areas inspections report:

  

The clerk summarised the current outstanding inspection issues, none of which are high risk.

  

8.2 Fishing syndicate update:

  

The Chairman reported on his meeting with David Scrase, who is proposing to step down as the fishing syndicate administrator at the end of March 2018.  A replacement is currently being sought from within the syndicate.

  

8.3 (not on agenda) Football:

  

The Chairman reported that he has received a complaint from a parishioner about swearing during the match last Sunday.  He will write to Lee Cogan and ask him to talk to the players.

  

The Chairman also noted that one of the goalposts is broken.  He and Cllr Jeffery will fix it.

  

9.  Item of Correspondence to be circulated:

  

9.1 Tree Guardian — September 2017:  Noted

  

9.2 Basingstoke Voluntary Action:  Invitation to AGM 25 October 2017:  Noted

  

9.3 Action Hampshire:  Invitation to Action Hampshire AGM 1 November 2017:  Noted

  

9.4 Rural Opportunities Bulletin — October 2017:  Noted.  Cllr Dixon asked the clerk to send a copy to Clem Jones as it includes information about grants for Broadband.

  

10.  HALC/BDAPTC/SLCC/Training & Conferences Reports:

  

10.1 HALC:  Health & Safety Training 20 November 2017:  Noted

  

11.  Footpaths

  

11.1 Rope Yarn Lane:  Interim decision of planning inspector:

  

The Chairman noted that this is an interim report, pending any objections.  Cllr Randall asked why the right of way has been identified as a bridleway, rather than a BOAT.  Cllr Jeffery suggested that there had been insufficient historical evidence of its use by motorised vehicles.

  

11.2 Test Way:  Update on gates & fingerposts:

  

The Chairman reported that HCC have agreed to provide paint for the Test Way gates.  It was also noted that at certain times of the year the first gate from Bourne Hill towards the school is difficult to use because of nettles and brambles.  It was agreed that the clerk will ask Premier Grounds to cut these back when notified that there is a problem.

  

The Chairman also reported that the Countryside Access Office is going to review the status of the fingerposts and report back.

  

12.  Highways/Transport/Services:

  

12.1 Report of Highways Group meeting Wednesday 4 October.

  

Cllr Dixon reported that the Highways Group had met to begin a proposal to Hampshire Highways for the use of BEST money for highway improvements and measures to reduce speeding in the parish.  This proposal will include: 

  • Replacing missing paint markings;

  • Village gates;

  • Extra village signs;

  • Taking out the central white line in places along the B3048 as a traffic calming measure;

  • Speed Limit Reminder devices. 

Cllr Styles asked that the Highways group consider whether anything could be included in the proposal to indicate at the SMB end of Gangbridge Lane that it is a single track lane, so that drivers unfamiliar with the area would not inadvertently drive into the river when it is in flood, mistaking it for surface water.

  

13 Other matters:  None

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.30pm.

These minutes are subject to approval at the Parish Council Meeting on 12 December 2017. 

Free business joomla templates