Draft minutes of full council meeting 12 September 2017

 

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

 

Tuesday 12 September 2017 in the Club Room, Village Hall at 7.30pm

 

 

 

Present: The Chairman, Cllr David Peart and Cllrs Bridget Culley, Tony Styles, Carole Whitlock, Katie Dixon, Tony Grunsell, Ray Randall, HCC Cllr Tom Thacker (Item 5.1 only), the clerk Jo Exelby and the retiring clerk, Derek Kane.

 

 

 

Members of the Public in attendance:  None

 

 

 

The proper business of the council then commenced.

 

 

 

1. Apologies for Absence: Cllrs Hugo Wurzer, Philip Jeffery and BDBC Graham Falconer.

 

 

 

2. Declarations of Interest:  None

 

 

 

3.1 The Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday 8 August 2017 (previously circulated).

 

 

 

Having been already circulated, Cllr Culley proposed that they were a true record and should be signed; the proposal was seconded by Cllr Whitlock and unanimously agreed by the council.

 

 

 

3.2 Matters arising:  None

 

 

 

4.  Borough & County Councillor Reports:

 

 

 

    1. Borough Councillor’s Report:  By email, Cllr Falconer advised that he attended the very interesting visit to Vitacress on Friday 8 September.

 

 

 

4.2 County Councillor’s Report:  Cllr Thacker arrived while 5.1 was being discussed.  See item after 5.1.

 

 

 

5. Items for discussion:

 

 

 

5.1 Village Agent and community support — Discussion with Anne Harrison of Age Concern Hampshire and Gib Hancock (parishioner):

 

 

 

Anne Harrison gave a presentation about the Village Agent scheme, for which she is the co-ordinator for HCC.

 

 

 

Gib Hancock gave a presentation explaining how he is trying to bring together various existing and proposed schemes to support the elderly in the village and how he considered the Village Agent scheme might fit in to the overall plan.  He provided an organogram with the headings Medical care, Social care, Pastoral care, NeighbourCare and Financial, together with the following notes:

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

The aim is to establish a Community organisation to expand existing activities into a comprehensive system to provide assistance, where needed, to the elderly in our community.  It will bring together into one structure assistance with Medical, Pastoral, Social, Financial and Day to day practical problems faced by a growing elderly population.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

One of the problems of setting up a Community Support Service is identifying those individuals who might need its help. The problem is not so great for those needing medical help, but for those needing emotional, practical or financial help, it might be more difficult. People are hesitant to admit to having problems in these areas of their lives.

 

 

 

One solution would be to put together details of all those in the community who have already been identified as have difficulties. This might solve the problem to an extent and the start it would give might encourage others to come forward.

 

 

 

At the same time the services offered could be promoted through the magazine, through the Bourne Valley Signpost or by a leaflet drop. If people were aware of what help was available, they might be encouraged to sign up.

 

 

 

A third option would be to set up an “Over 60’s Club” offering a range of activity to all our senior citizens, those with problems and those without. This might remove the concern that those with problems might have, while at the same time, would be of substantial benefit and bring them into contact with a larger number of potential friends.

 

 

 

The sort of activities that might be developed, whichever route we take, could include the following group activities:-

 

Exercise classes, Painting and Drawing, IT Instruction, Health classes, Walking, Singing, Dancing, Bowls, Personal Care, Writing, Discussion groups, Lunches, Birthday parties, Theatre visits, Christmas Carol service, Christmas party

 

               

 

Other services that might be offered to members would include:

 

Transport, Shopping trips, as well as advice on Legal issues, Gardening and household services, IT services, Talks by the Police, Trading standards, Age Concern.

 

 

 

Providing transport to the already established Film Night and The Lunch would also be included.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

The council agreed that SMB is a very caring village, there are already a large number of schemes which could be usefully brought together, including the United Charities Trust and that they would like to support the Village Agent scheme and would be happy to advertise it on the PC website and on the BV Signpost and request it is put into H&V.  Anne will send suitable advertising materials.  The PC will wait for Gib to notify the Clerk that he is ready before posting the adverts.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Cllr Thacker arrived during the above item.

 

 

 

    1. There was no report to give.  Cllr Thacker asked for questions.

 

 

 

Cllr Dixon asked about progress on the pulls-ins on Egbury Road.  Cllr Thacker replied that it is on his list and he will check on progress.

 

 

 

Cllr Styles asked for the procedure for reporting a fallen tree on the highway.  Cllr Thacker advised that the telephone number 101 should be called.  (At the meeting the number 111 was erroneously advised — this is the NHS helpline).

 

 

 

The order of agenda was then resumed.  Cllr Thacker left the meeting, as did Anne Harrison and Gib Hancock.

 

 

 

5.2 Bell’s Meadow:

 

 

 

Cllr Dixon noted that the replacement planting had not yet been actioned along the road.  It was agreed that the Clerk would write again to Hyde Housing.

 

 

 

Cllr Grunsell noted that there is still a fence across the entrance to the footpath that runs from near the War Memorial to the MUGA.  The Chairman advised that a solicitor’s letter had been sent.  He will follow up with Hyde Housing.

 

 

 

5.3 Flood and Emergency Group (FEG) — Update:

 

 

 

The Chairman noted that he is still awaiting the Flood Risk Permit, before the work regrading the Bourne can begin.  Cllr Culley asked that Vitacress be advised before work begins.

 

 

 

The Defra grant for these works has not yet been received, but the Chairman will be attending a webinar in October on how to get the funds.  When the monies are received, these will be ring-fenced for Bourne work, as we currently do for existing grant monies.

 

 

 

The Chairman presented the latest draft SMB Emergency Plan.  It was agreed that a meeting of the FEG would be held to finalise it.

 

 

 

It was noted that HCC has issued a riparian landowner notice, which has been posted onto BV Signpost and the parish council website.  It was agreed that the council needs to update its list of riparian owners so that we can better communicate with them directly.  The clerk will do this.  Sarah Cooney will be asked to prepare a status report to send to riparian owners.

 

 

 

Bourne Levels:

 

 

 

From Sarah Cooney (1/8/17):

 

 

 

Here is the well measurement at Valley Farm, Stoke. The measurement is taken from the top of the well down to the water level.

 

The level has dropped by 84cm since the 1st August, and is likely to continue falling through September. The river bed is completelydry through Stoke.

 

Rolling 6-monthly figures: 

 

2016/17

cm

d

Comments

1 Mar

275

102

Level rising; river down

2 Apr

187

88

Level rising: springs up

2 May

153

34

Level rising; river flowing

26 May

170

-17

Level falling; river down

30 Jun

226

-56

Level falling; river down

1 Aug

286

-60

Level falling; river down

1 Sep

370

-84

Level falling; river down

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Year on Year DataComparison: 

 

Date

2015*

2016

2017

1 Sep

295cm

181cm

370cm

 

 * 2015 - the level was falling and the river was down.

 

† 2016 - the level was falling and the springs were up in Valley Farm’s field.

 

~~~

 

From Clem Jones (1/9/17):

 

All levels continue to drop.  The river is now only a trickle and only in the village.

 

 

 

Note 1.

 

The measures at the Vernham Dean Bore Hole and the gauge at Holdway Cottage are from the ground base and are depth of water.

 

 

 

Note 2.

 

The measure in the Summerhaugh well is the space between the kitchen floor and the top of the water. This is effectively the ground water level at this point in the valley.

 

 

 

 

Location

1/9/17

1/8/17

Vernham Dean Bore

92m

97m

Gauge at Summerhaugh

2cm

9cm

Spring at Summerhaugh

Dry

Dry

Well at Summerhaugh

157cm

 

139cm

 

 

 

 

5.4 Black Garden — Update:  None

 

 

 

5.5 Electronic Speed Reminder Signs — Update:

 

 

 

Cllr Wurzer hadsupplied the following e-mail chain to the meeting:

 

 

 

From Cllr Wurzer on 8/9/17:

 

 

 

BDBC has yet to contact me regarding the possible co-operation with BDBC. I will pursue this.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From BDBC on 6/9/17

 

“Although the document recommends Westcotec there are now a wide range of speed limit reminders or indicators on the market and the Parish Council may select the product that they feel is most suitable.  

 

I’ll contact BDBC regarding their charges for management and will let you know. I’ll also ask if they wish to agree the deployment locations and organise any sockets that may be required. They may do this under our agency agreement otherwise it will be agreed with HCC. Where there is no suitable street furniture that can be used for a deployment then we recommend using post sockets and having a single post that travels with the unit as this will reduce street clutter.”

 

 Cllr Wurzer emailed HCC on 23/8/17:

 

“We buy the system, but what about the purchase and positioning of the posts? Do we agree this with you or BDBC?”

 

 … and also on the same date …

 

“I have researched this and understand that the preferred system is Westcotec. We might opt to use BDBC's management service. Can you give me some idea of the annual cost to the PC? I appreciate your help.”

 

~~~

 

HCC had emailed Cllr Wurzer on th3 23/8/17:

 

“The Parish Council may purchase the speed limit reminder or indicator device themselves. Management of the deployments over a programme of agreed sites may be by the Parish Council directly under licence issued by the County Council. Alternatively Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council’s traffic management team may be able to manage the deployments on your behalf using their deployment resource at a cost to the Parish Council.”

 

 Cllr Dixon reported that installing electronic signs cost approximately £5,000 per sign, including all materials and labour and suggested that the BEST Monies (S106) might be used for this.  She noted that there was a fixed cost to making an application and so the council should consider a proposal for all possible highways improvements, including Gangbridge Lane (bank edge reinforcement/visibility).  It was agreed that all councillors will send their proposals to Cllr Dixon.  The Chairman agreed to contact Andrew Ingall, BDBC, to establish what can be included.

 

Cllr Grunsell asked about the calibration of the SID owned by the council.  The clerk will calibrate as soon as possible and liaise with Cllr Grunsell.  The matter of battery life and placement of device on stands will also be followed through by the clerk re the range of the device.

 

5.6 Hill & Valley Magazine — Update:

 

 

 

Pearl Pritchard from Egbury has volunteered to be editor of the St Mary Bourne pages of Hill & Valley so there will be an October issue.    The copy deadline for this will be Thursday 14th September but Pearl would be pleased to get any copy that you might have as soon as possible.

 

 

 

When you contact her could you please let her know which organisation/local interest group you represent so she can add you to her database.

 

5.7 Broadband — Update:

 

 

 

Cllr Dixon has drafted a public note on progress, but is waiting for feedback from BT and HCC before finalising.

 

 

 

5.8 Clerk’s proposals for open office hours and her attendance schedule from 1 October 2017:

 

 

 

It was agreed that the new normal office opening hours from 2 October will be:

 

 

 

Monday to Wednesday — 12.30 to 2.30pm

 

Thursday — 5.30 to 6.30pm

 

 

 

She can also be open by prior arrangement outside of these hours with any parishioner.

 

 

 

The contact phone number remains 01264 738039 and the email remains This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .  Also a note can be posted by mail or by hand to the Parish Office, Bourne Meadow.  (The letterbox is located on the unused door of the Club Room.)

 

 

 

The council also agreed to the other regular hours of attendance.

 

 

 

It was agreed that the clerk will notify Angie Cook, update the parish council website, the BV Signpost and post a new door notice.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.9 Meetings Calendar for 2018:

 

 

The following dates were approved by the council.  The pattern remains the same:  full council on the second Tuesday of the month and planning on the fourth Tuesday, except where indicated.

 

The Annual Parish Council Meeting (NOT the Parish Assembly) will be a separate meeting in May due to the election of the full parish council which falls in 2018.

 
             
             

Month

Full Council

 

Planning Committee

January

9th

     

23rd

February

13th

     

27th

March

Lake Meeting TBA

     

March

13th

     

27th

April

 

10th

     

24th

May 1st - Annual Parish Assembly

   

May 3rd - Parish Council Elections

   

May 8th - APCM

       

May

 

15th

     

22nd

June

 

12th

     

26th

July

 

10th

     

24th

August

14th

     

28th

September

11th

   

 

25th

October

9th

     

23rd

November

13th

*

   

27th

December

11th

     

None

*Finance Committee Meeting Only

   
               

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6. Finance:

 

 

 

6.1 Half year review of income and expenditure:

 

 

 

Income:

 

 

 

All budgeted income streams are on target and have been paid except.

 

 

 

Part 2 of precept (£9,749) due EO September.

 

 

 

Q3 & Q4 of Fishing (£728 x2) due October ‘17 and January ’18.

 

 

 

Investment income (£160) due March ’18.

 

 

 

Lengthsman Commission: £100 commission received for HBT joining cluster, £100 due to Kingsclere PC joining shortly.  Invoiced HCC September 17.

 

 

 

Bank interest (circa £2 pm) paid monthly

 

 

 

Flood alleviation:  Community Challenge Fund Grant £4,000.  Other grant money due from EA shortly.

 

 

 

Expenditure:

 

 

 

Significant differences:

 

 

 

VAT: All recoverable in April’18.

 

 

 

Neighbourhood Plan:  £220 to finish off consultancy.

 

 

 

Defibrillator Cost:  £90 for batteries and pads (2 year life).

 

 

 

Batsford parking:  £220 for planning application (further charges for tree report plus Premier Grounds work on site).

 

 

 

6.2 Advise councillors to bring any projects, items, proposals involving expenditure for 2018/19 to the October Full Council Meeting for the clerk to incorporate into the draft budget for 2018/19:

 

 

 

Noted

 

 

 

6.3 External Audit Report and Annual Return and Notice of Conclusion of Audit for 2016/17:

 

 

 

The external auditor, BDO LLP, advised on the 9 August 2017 on the basis of their review of the Annual Return, in their opinion the information in the Annual Return is in accordance with proper practices and no other matters have come to their attention giving cause for concern that relevant legislative and regulatory requirements have not been met.

 

 

 

The notice of conclusion of audit needs to be posted for at least 14 days as soon as possible before the 30 September 2017.  This will be done following this meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.4 Monthly accounts — September:

 

 

 

Account

Amount

Treasurers Account

740.55

Investment Account

49,665.57

Petty Cash Account

3.70

Lloyds TSB Fixed Term Deposit

20,000.00

Less un-presented cheques

0.00

Closing Balance

70,409.82

 

 

 

 

 

#1a & 1b.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#1a & 1b.

 

 

 

#1a Balance in Investment Account & Closing Balance includes £10,500.00 of Lengthsman grant from HCC (drawn from remaining balances of 2016/17 grant and 2017/18.held on behalf of 12 associate parish and town councils.  

 

 

 

# 1b These balances also include £4,300.00 of grant money from HCC (in 2017), SW and Vitacress(unspent monies from 2016) that has been supplied to fund anti-flooding work on The Bourne.

 

 

 

The following payment was agreed at the 22/8/17 planning meeting:

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No

Amount

BDO LLP (external audit)

2790

360.00

TOTAL

 

360.00

 

 

 

Receipts since the previous Full Council Meeting held on 8 August 2017 (into Business Investment Account):

 

 

 

Source

Date

Amount

Whitchurch Youth Football

2/8/17

200.00

HCC Lengthsman Grant for HB-T #2

3/8/17

1,100.00

Lloyds Bank interest

9/8/17

2.13

SMB Football Club 2017/18

30/8/17

379.00

TOTAL

 

1,681.13

 

 

 

#2  £1,000.00 for HB-T and £100.00 commission to SMB.

 

 

 

Lengthsman funds, as at 31/8/17 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c, on behalf of the 12 associate town and parish councils.

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

10,220.00

HCC (for Hurstbourne Tarrant)

1,000.00

 

3/8/17

11,220.00

Hurstbourne Priors

 

490.00+vat

8/8/17

10,730.00

Longparish

 

230.00+vat

8/8/17

10,500.00

c/f

 

 

 

10,500.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Flood Prevention Funds, as at 31/8/17 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c.

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

4,300.00

c/f

 

 

 

4,300.00

 

 

 

Payments Due at Meeting (12/9/17):

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No.

Amount

Derek Kane (salary)

2791

693.35

Derek Kane (travel expenses)

2792

9.01

Derek Kane (expenses for new peripherals)

2793

31.98

Jo Exelby (salary)

2794

919.19

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance for SMB

2795

495.00

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance – Lengthsman Ecchinswell PC

2796

144.00

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance – Lengthsman Longparish PC — adjustment on July work

2797

48.00

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance – Lengthsman Longparish PC

2798

60.00

Mr FA Tarrant (litter picker)

2799

292.50

Information Commissioner (annual registration)

2800

35.00

Came & Company (insurance for 2017/18)

2801

2,308.68

Sarah Cooney (expenses for Broadband survey)

2802

20.83

HH & DE Drew Ltd (SMB CC)

2803

595.93

CommuniCorp (Clerks & Councils Magazine annual subscription)

2804

75.00

Sovereign Housing (Rent for Batsford)

2805

1.00

Martin Clay (for SMB CC - labour)

2806

1,470.00

Martin Clay (for SMB CC – purchase of wicket maintenance materials)

2807

482.37

Total

 

7,681.84

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Invoices raised since the Full Council Meeting on 8/8/17:

 

 

 

To

Inv No.

Dated

Amount

HCC — Lengthsman grant for Kingsclere

12-17

11/9/17

1,100.00

Total

 

 

1,100.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Provision is to be made for £1,000.00 for any unforeseen expenses this month and £465.79 for Q2 HMRC payment. It had been agreed to transfer £8,500.00 from the Business Investment account to the Treasurers account.

 

 

 

The acceptance of the reconciled accounts for the month of August was proposed by Cllr Grunsell   and seconded by Cllr Styles and unanimously agreed by the Full Council.

 

 

 

7.  Planning:

 

 

 

7.1.1 Report from Planning Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 22 August 2017 (previously circulated):

 

 

 

7.1.2 Matters arising from the Report:  None

 

 

 

7.2 Planning Applications for discussion at meeting:

 

 

 

17/02756/HSE — Middle Wyke House, Middle Wyke, SMB, SP11 6AJ — Erection of a first floor rear extension.

 

 

 

Decision: No objection

 

 

 

7.3 Trees — Notice of Intent:

 

 

 

T/00338/17/TCA — Juglans, SMB — prune back one ash at 6m high back to trunk:

 

 

 

Decision:  No objection

 

 

 

7.4 Advice of Planning Applications considered by BDBC:

 

 

 

7.4.1  — 17/02063/HSE — Bourne House, SMB, SP11 6AP — Erection of an orangery following demolition of conservatory:

 

 

 

Granted on 2/8/17

 

 

 

Access suggestion:  Avoid centre of SMB for long and large vehicles.

 

 

 

7.4.2  — 17/01821/FUL — Derrydown Estate, SMB, SP11 6BS — Erection of a block of 5 no. stables with associated tack room and hard standing.  Change of use of fields to the turning out of horses:

 

 

 

Granted on 9/8/17

 

 

 

Access suggestion:  Avoid centre of SMB for long and large vehicles.

 

 

 

7.4.3 — 17/01442/HSE — St Augustines House, Upper Link, SMB, SP11 6BT — Erection of double carport following demolition of existing garage.

 

 

 

Granted on 9/8/17

 

 

 

Access suggestion:  Avoid centre of SMB for long and large vehicles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.4.4  —17/02293/LBC & 02373/RET — Mundays, SMB, SP11 6AY — Regularisation / retrospective application for repairs to existing stacks including raising height of chimney ‘A’ and adding 3 no. terracotta pots.

 

 

 

Granted on 10/8/17

 

 

 

7.4.5 — 17/02323/LBC — The George, SMB, SP121 6BG — Removal of part of an internal wall between north and central bar areas and reinstatement of brickwork nib at the other end of the (removed) wall.

 

 

 

Granted on 25/8/17

 

 

 

7.5 Planning applications withdrawn to be noted:  None

 

 

 

7.6 Planning appeals:  None

 

 

 

7.7 Compliance:  None

 

 

 

7.8 Other parish councils’ planning matters:

 

 

 

HB-P PC — 15/02884/FUL — Cressington, Stoke Lane, Hurstbourne Priors, RG28 7RS — Erection of 5 no. dwellings and 3 no. garages with associated landscaping — withdrawal advised 11/9/17.

 

 

 

Noted

 

 

 

7.9 Other Planning matters:  None

 

 

 

8.  Recreation Ground and Lake:

 

 

 

8.1 Weekly Play Areas inspections: Change of system — Electronic inspection system now working – first report:

 

 

 

The report was discussed.  There was a discussion about whether to fix the Spica Spinner (which has hazard tape on it) and is classed as low risk on the report.  It was agreed that VitaPlay will only be called in if this, or another item, moves to high risk.  Then they can attend to medium risk items and low risk where there is a quick win.

 

 

 

Other matters raised by councillors in respect to the recreation ground:

 

 

 

Cllr Culley noted that the pavilion still needs painting with wood preserver.  The Chairman has this in hand.

 

 

 

The Chairman wished to thank Cllr Jeffery for his assistance in welding the football goalposts.

 

 

 

8.2 Stowe Sports seek permission to use MUGA / adjacent part of the rec for children’s sports 23/24 October 2017:

 

 

 

Agreed.

 

 

 

9.  Item of Correspondence to be circulated:

 

 

 

9.1 Southern Water: Stakeholder Newsletter Summer 2017:  Noted

 

 

 

9.2 Hampshire and IOW Wildlife Trust: Availability of volunteers to carry out practical conservation works to benefit biodiversity in BDBC:

 

 

 

Possible projects were discussed to use this resource, such as the gravel pits and conservation work by the side of the river.  The Chairman will consider whether to invite them for a site visit.

 

 

 

9.3 BDBC: Basingstoke Variety Show in aid of Mayor’s Charity Appeal — 7/10/17 at 7.30pm:  Noted

 

 

 

9.4 Correspondence from owner of Bourne Park House (outside the parish) regarding support for planning application:

 

 

 

This was discussed and the council raised no objection to replacing the airfield with a new house and associated staff accommodation.  The clerk will inform the owner of Bourne Park House of this.

 

 

 

9.5 Correspondence from a member of Basingstoke & Deane Neighbourhood Watch Committee about reviving the scheme in the parish:

 

 

 

This was discussed and it was agreed that currently the BV Signpost is providing a good medium for communicating crime risks through the parish, together with police phone alerts and country/farm watch.  It was agreed that at present we do not need to reinstate a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.  The clerk and Chairman will draft a response.

 

 

 

9.6 (not on agenda) Enquiries from Stoke Village Fund re New bench near ex.BT Box, one replacement bench for the two at the noticeboard/bus stop and various weed growth issues around the bridge, road edges and ex.BT Box. (Enquiries received 9/9/17)

 

 

 

From Stoke Village Fund:

 

 

 

“We are planning to put a bench by the newly re-invigorated ex BT phone box which now serves as a micro library. (Kindly re-painted through Derek Kane's efforts via the Lengthsman scheme). We thought it would be nice for people to sit and have a read by the river. Please let us know if the PC have any thoughts on this.

 

 

 

We know that the 2 benches by the notice board and bus stop in Stoke are not owned or maintained by the PC. They are now in a poor state of repair and we are looking at options for replacement, probably with just one. Would this be something the PC would be prepared to now fund? I believe this area is maintained/cut by the PC so thought I would ask the question! 

 

 

 

Weed growth alongside the bridge and kerbing towards the main road. Also of the grassed area near the phone box library. Is this a Lengthsman responsibility? If so, please could it be added to the worksheet for Stoke? If not, please could the PC confirm there would be no issues were residents to clear these areas going forwards?”

 

 

 

The council do not fund benches.  All benches in the parish are currently funded by fund raising and donations (eg memorials).  However, it was suggested that the clerk point SVF to possible sources of funding:

 

  1. Tom Thacker, our HCC councillor may be able to advise;
  2. BDBC hold some S106 funds for the parish.  These are developer contributions which can be used for infrastructure improvements.  The contact details for Open Spaces/Parks/Play Areas/Allotments is Paul Johnston, Natural Environment Team Leader This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.   (01256) 845763

 

The weed growth at the bridge and kerbing, plus the phone box, the council prefers that their contractor attends to this, especially with works by the road as the council cannot supervise volunteers.  The clerk will instruct their contractor to deal with this when he next cuts the playground.

 

 

 

10.  HALC/BDAPTC/SLCC/Training & Conferences Reports:

 

 

 

10.1 HALC: Training schedule September/October for clerks and councillors:  Noted

 

 

 

10.2 SLCC — Clerk request for PC to fund her membership (£131) and request for Introduction to Local Council Administration training (£99):

 

 

 

Agreed to both.  The Clerk also noted that she is attending a free BDBC training event on Planning on 26/9/17.

 

 

 

10.3 HALC: Parish and Town Councils eligibility to apply to Big Lottery Fund — ‘Awards for All’:  Noted

 

 

 

10.4 HALC — Precepts Report 2017/18:  Noted

 

 

 

10.5 (not on agenda) HALC: E-Update for September 2017:  Noted

 

 

 

11.  Footpaths

 

 

 

11.1 Rope Yarn Lane — update (as given at Planning Meeting 22 August 2017):

 

 

 

Cllr Styles representing the parish council attended the 15 August inspector determination meeting at HCC, Winchester.  The inspector needs to take further time determining the status of this road.  The meeting lasted five hours.  It is hoped that a decision will be given by Christmas 2017.  There would then, should it be invoked, allowance to appeal against any decision.

 

 

 

11.2 Hampshire Countryside Services — Newsletter August 2017:  Noted

 

 

 

11.3 (not on the agenda) Encroaching hedges on footpath behind Bells Meadow:  Cllr Culley raised the issue that the width of the path is compromised by the overgrowing hedges.  It was noted that footpaths should be a minimum of 1m to allow prams, wheelchairs and mobility scooters.  It was agreed that the clerk will write to the four homes on the High Street adjacent to the path requesting their cooperation.

 

 

 

11.4 (not on the agenda): The hedge that runs behind the school also need attending to, as there is encroachment on to the path (Test Way) here too.  The chairman will contact the parishioner who planted this hedge (but lives elsewhere). The clerk will also write to another resident nearby whose hedge also encroaches.

 

 

 

11.5 (not on the agenda) Tree blocking footpath between Wadwick and Binley:  Cllr Styles noted that there was a tree down.  He will investigate and report back to the clerk.

 

 

 

11.6 (not on the agenda) Metal gates on the Test Way between the recreation ground and the school:  Cllr Dixon noted that these need maintenance (rubbing down and repainting). The chairman will investigate and advise on who will take this up. (PC or HCC Countryside services?).

 

 

 

12.  Highways/Transport/Services:

 

 

 

12.1 HCC: Public Satisfaction Survey — deadline 20/10/17:  Noted

 

 

 

13 Other matters (not on the agenda)

 

13.1 Cllr Dixon raised again the issue of an advertising board encroaching on the highway.  The clerk will write to the owner to request that it is moved back.

 

13.2 Cllr Randall raised the matter of recent vehicle crashes at the Chapmansford Crossroads.  Although outside our parish, many parishioners do use these crossroads.  The chairman will write to County Cllr Thacker to see if any improvements can be applied to this junction to make it safer and more visible.

 

[Post meeting note]: The chairman wrote to Cllr Thacker on 14/9/17 the following:-

 

Thank you for attending the council meeting on Tuesday evening. However, one topic that was meant to be discussed with you but unfortunately was forgotten until later was the problem with the crossroads junction at Chapmansford.

As you are well aware there have been several serious accidents at this junction over the last few months. The most recent [involved a parishioner who] was lucky to escape serious injury when his van was written off by someone not stopping and running into the side of him.

Although this junction is not in our parish, it is used on a daily basis by a good number of our parishioners. I'm not sure what can be done to make this junction safer, maybe different signage or lines needing repainting, but we will appreciate it if you will take this up on our behalf with Hampshire Highways to see what can be done as a matter of urgency.

Your help with this will be appreciated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.30pm.

 

These minutes are subject to approval at the Parish Council Meeting on 10 October 2017. 

 

Free business joomla templates