Draft Minutes of Full Council Meeting 13 June 2017

 

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

 

Tuesday 13 June 2017 in the Club Room, Village Hall at 7.30pm

 

 

 

Present: The Chairman, Cllr David Peart and Cllrs Hugo Wurzer, Tony Styles, Ray Randall, Carole Whitlock and the clerk, Derek Kane.

 

 

 

Members of the Public in attendance: None.

 

 

 

1. Apologies for Absence: Cllrs Katie Dixon, Bridget Culley, Philip Jeffery, Tony Grunsell and BDBC Cllr Graham Falconer.

 

 

 

2. Declarations of Interest: None.

 

 

 

3.1.1 The Minutes of the Annual Parish Assembly held on 2 May 2017.

 

 

 

Having been already circulated, Cllr Randall proposed that they were a true record and should be signed; the proposal was seconded by Cllr Styles and unanimously agreed by the council.

 

               

 

3.1.2 Matters arising: None.

 

 

 

3.2.1 The Minutes of the Annual Parish Council Meeting held on Tuesday 9 May 2017 (previously circulated).

 

 

 

Having been already circulated, Cllr Wurzer proposed that they were a true record and should be signed; the proposal was seconded by Cllr Styles and unanimously agreed by the council.

 

 

 

3.2.2 Matters arising: None.

 

 

 

3.3.1 The Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday 9 May 2017 (previously circulated).

 

 

 

Having been already circulated, Cllr Randall proposed that they were a true record and should be signed; the proposal was seconded by Cllr Wurzer and unanimously agreed by the council.

 

 

 

3.3.2 Matters arising: None.

 

 

 

4.  Borough & County Councillor Reports:

 

 

 

4.1 Borough Cllr Graham Falconer had sent in a report:

 

The main issue last month was Bells Meadow. The enforcement case was enforced such that the street lamps have been removed. The Head of Enforcement and the officer visited the site and we agreed that the case is now closed but if there are other issues we can go straight to Enforcement. A resident came up with a solution to the house lights so that the developer will fit lower wattage light bulbs. We were impressed by the landscaping of the site.

 

I have been alerted by Cllr Styles of the closure of the private parking at Whitchurch Station. I am making enquiries as to what is happening.

 

On 22 June I will attend a tour and BBQ at Apsley Farm organised by the NFU Insurance Co. It appears that half of the planning application for the biodigester site is in St Mary Bourne and the other half is in Whitchurch. [Clerk’s amendment: should read, “… is in St Mary Bourne and the other half is in Whitchurch.”]

 

4.2 No report received from our county councillor.

 

5.  Items for discussion:

 

5.1 Bell’s Meadow — Update:

 

 

 

The latest Basingstoke Homebid Newsletter which expired on 12 June showed one 2-bed home being offered for bids.  It is understood that this home was returned for bidding after an applicant who had been granted their bid decided to decline.

 

 

 

The clerk was informed by BDBC that this home will now be offered to anyone on the BDBC Housing List who has a local connection (as defined by the S106 agreement) with SMB Parish, Ashmansworth Parish, Hurstbourne Priors Parish and Litchfield & Woodcott Parish Area.

 

 

 

The chairman brought forward Items 11.1.1 & 11.1.2.

 

 

 

11.1.1 Footpath 36 (from the Bowling Club to opposite the war memorial) – Update: obstruction of access to footpath from frontage path of Bell’s Meadow to this public right of way footpath by a third party.

 

 

 

The chairman and clerk met with a HCC Countryside Services officer on site.  HCC will write to the third party and ask them to remove the obstruction of access from Bell Meadow on to a public right of way.

 

 

 

11.1.2 Footpath 36 (as above) — Update: Hedge Growth from four adjacent properties onto path partially restricting access along the path.

 

 

 

At the same site meeting the HCC Countryside Services officer will also write to the occupiers of the four homes that border the east side of this path to cut back their hedges closer to their property boundaries to allow for ease of passage along this right of way.

 

 

 

The meeting then resumed its agenda order.

 

 

 

5.2 Flood and Emergency Group (FEG):

 

From Sarah Cooney (26 May):

 

I have taken the measurement earlier than normal, as we are off on holiday this weekend.

 

The measurement is taken from the top of the well down to the water level. The level has dropped by 17cm since the 2 May, and is likely to continue falling through the summer now. The river bed is now dry across our garden and all the way down to the main Stoke bridge. There are isolated ponds and puddles in the field next door, and also south of the bridge in Stoke and down towards Gangbridge Pond, but no flow as far as I can see. I haven’t been to check in the gravel pits.

 

Before Robin left this week, he found his old well measurement records that go back to the 1990s. I haven’t been through them yet as they are all on scraps of paper, but it will be very interesting if I find comparative data over that period of time.

 

 

 

 

 

Rolling 6-monthly figures

 

 2016/17

cm

d

Comments

1 Dec

328

-43

Level falling; river down

1 Jan

402

-74

Level falling; river down

1 Feb

377

25

Level rising; river down

1 Mar

275

102

Level rising; river down

2 Apr

187

88

Level rising: springs up

2 May

153

34

Level rising; river flowing

26 May

170

-17

Level falling; river down

 

 Year on Year DataComparison (see graph below)

 

 Date

2015*

2016

2017

1 Jun

143.5cm

100cm

170cm (26/5)

 

 * 2015 - the level was falling and the river was flowing in the field.

 

† 2016 - the level was rising and the river was flowing in the field.

 

From Clem Jones (1 June):

 

All going down.

 

 

 

There is some standing water in the Bourne adjacent to the big spring at Spring Cottage, otherwise it continues to run from just above the ford.                                                  

 

 

 

Note 1.

 

The measures at the Vernham Dean Bore Hole and the gauge at Holdway Cottage are from the ground base and are depth of water.

 

 

 

Note 2.

 

The measure in the Summerhaugh well is the space between the kitchen floor and the top of the water. This is effectively the ground water level at this point in the valley.

 

 

 

 

Location

7/5/17

7/5/17

Vernham Dean Bore

103m

104m

Gauge at Summerhaugh

19cm

20cm

Spring at Summerhaugh

Dry

Dry

Well at Summerhaugh

102cm

 

95cm

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

On an unrelated matter the clerk was asked to instruct Premier Grounds to do a quick trim of the vegetation around the communal noticeboard opposite The Old Plough in SMB and the PC noticeboard in Stoke.

 

 

 

5.3 Black Garden — Update (if any): None.

 

 

 

5.4 Electronic Speed Reminder Signs — Update:

 

 

 

The roving installation of the old Speedwatch SID seems to have been well received and will continue.  It is believed that the verge vegetation growth may be giving some incorrect readings.  On Cllr Grunsell’s return a calibration test will take place.

 

 

 

The purchase of further SID type equipment has been parked to allow for the current initiative to prove its worth.

 

 

 

5.5 Neighbourhood Plan — Update:

 

 

 

Final Consultation Plan can be viewed in the Club Room during parish office opening hours until 17 July. 

 

 

 

Replacement Clerk recruitment — Update:

 

 

 

There are currently three candidates, with a possibility of a fourth, pending receipt of a completed application form.  The closing date for applications is now set for 16 June. Interviews are ongoing.

 

 

 

A further three applications of interest were received but the would-be applicants then informed the clerk they would not be following through with an application.

 

 

 

The present clerk continues on the payroll until such times as a successor is in place.

 

 

 

6. Finance:

 

 

 

6.1 Internal Auditors Report for FY 2016/17:

 

 

 

From Auditing Solutions Ltd:

 

 

 

Overall Conclusion

 

 

 

We have concluded that, on the basis of the programme of work we have undertaken, the Council has maintained adequate and effective internal control arrangements during the year. We are pleased to record that no issues have been identified warranting formal comment or recommendation this year.

 

 

 

We have duly completed and signed-off the ‘Annual Internal Audit Report’ in the 2016-17 Annual Return, having concluded that, in all significant respects, the control objectives set out in that report were being achieved throughout the financial year to a standard adequate to meet the needs of the Council.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.2 Monthly accounts: June

 

 

 

Account

Amount

Treasurers Account

2,225.38

Investment Account

50,291.70

Petty Cash Account

8.99

Lloyds TSB Fixed Term Deposit

20,000.00

Less un-presented cheques

2,185.00

Closing Balance

70,341.07

 

 

 

 

 

#1a & 1b.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#1a & 1b.

 

 

 

#1a Balance in Investment Account & Closing Balance includes £11,460.00 of Lengthsman grant from HCC (drawn from remaining balances of 2015/16 grant, 2016/17 grant and 2017/18.held on behalf of 11 associate parish and town councils.  

 

 

 

# 1b These balances also include £4,300.00 of grant money from HCC (in 2017), SW and Vitacress(unspent monies from 2016) that has been supplied to fund anti-flooding work on The Bourne.

 

 

 

Payment made since the previous Full Council Meeting on 9 May 2017:

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No

Amount

Derek Kane (petty cash top-up)

2757

10.00

Derek Kane (Expenses for Planning Maps for Batsford Pick-up / Set-down application with BDBC)

2758

32.40

St Mary Bourne Village Centre (6m rent for April – September 2017)

2759

2,000.00

Eclipse Pest Control

2760

130.00

Sarah Cooney (Survey Monkey costs for Broadband survey)

2761

15.00

TOTAL

 

2,187.40

 

 

 

Above payments were agreed at the Planning Committee Meeting held on 25/5/17.

 

 

 

Receipts since the previous Full Council Meeting held on 9 May 2017 (into Business Investment Account):

 

 

 

Source

Date

Amount

BDBC — Precept and Grants #2

2/5/17

22,214.50

Bank interest

9/5/17

1.09

Model Yacht Club License

16/5/17

146.00

TOTAL

 

22,361.59

 

 

 

#2 Breakdown of BDBC payment (above) made on 2/5/17

 

 

 

For

£

Council Tax Support Grant

1,002.00

Parish Funding (Grass Cutting)

6,065.00

Parish Funding (Cricket Square)

5,399.00

Precept 2017/18 (1 of 2)

9,748.50

Total

22,214.50

 

 

 

The annual claim to HMRC for Vat refund 2016/17 has been received very recently (early June) and amounts to £6,920.08.  These will be accounted for in next month’s account statements

 

 

 

Lengthsman funds, as at 30/5/17 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c, on behalf of the 11 associate town and parish councils.

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

11,960.00

Newtown

 

500.00+vat

9/5/17

11,460.00

c/f

 

 

 

11,460.00

 

 

 

Flood Prevention Funds, as at 30/5/17 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c.

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

4,300.00

c/f

 

 

 

4,300.00

 

 

 

Payments Due at Meeting (13/6):

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No.

Amount

Derek Kane (salary)

2762

693.35

Derek Kane (expenses)

2763

6.01

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance for SMB

2764

507.00

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance – Lengthsman East Woodhay PC

2765

1,080.00

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance – Lengthsman Ecchinswell PC

2766

360.00

FA Tarrant (Litter Picker)

2767

292.50

Viking

2768

210.26

Auditing Solutions Ltd

2769

300.00

Total

 

3,449.12

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Invoices raised since the then Full Council Meeting on 9/5/17:

 

 

 

To

Inv No.

Dated

Amount

None

 

 

0.00

Total

 

 

0.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Provision is to be made for HMRC payment for Q1 2017/18 of £582.20 and £1,000.00 for any unforeseen expenses this month. It had been agreed to transfer £5,000.00 from the Business Investment account to the Treasurers account.

 

 

 

The acceptance of the reconciled accounts for the month of May was proposed by Cllr Wurzer and seconded by Cllr Whitlock and unanimously agreed by the Full Council.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.  Planning:

 

 

 

7.1.1 Report from Planning Committee Meeting held on Thursday 25 May 2017 (previously circulated):

 

 

 

7.1.2 Matters arising from the Report: None.

 

 

 

7.2 Planning Applications for discussion at meeting:

 

 

 

17/01727/HSE — Slade Bottom House, Slade Bottom Road, Stoke, SP11 0NU — Erection of a 3 bay garage / garden store with first floor studio.

 

 

 

Decision: No objection.

 

 

 

7.3 Trees — Notice of Intent:

 

 

 

T/00188/17/TCA — Romans, Upper Link, SMB   Fell 1 Acacia.

 

 

 

Decision: No objection.

 

 

 

7.4 Advice of Planning Applications considered by BDBC:

 

 

 

17/00537/LBC — Buckets Down Farm House, Upper Woodcott, Whitchurch, RG28 7PZ — Regularisation of alterations to windows, installation of new external doors and internal alterations.

 

 

 

Granted on 8 May 2017.

 

 

 

7.5 Planning applications withdrawn to be noted (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.6 Planning appeals (notifications, if any): None.

 

 

 

7.7 Compliance:

 

 

 

BVI Garden – Update (if any):

 

 

 

First noted and minuted at the Planning Committee Meeting held on 27 April 2017. 

 

 

 

Last updated at the 25/5/17 Planning Meeting.

 

 

 

The clerk is still awaiting a planning application to be submitted to BDBC.

 

 

 

7.8 Other parish councils’ planning matters (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.9 Other Planning matters (if any): None.

 

 

 

8.  Recreation Ground and Lake:

 

 

 

8.1 Permission to use Rec and Pavilion for a cricket match by a resident on Saturday 26 August.

 

 

 

Decision: No objection.

 

 

 

 

 

The clerk was asked to remind SMB CC that their screens should be removed from around the field and secured so that they cannot be damaged or cause injury or damage.  T&Cs for the use of the Rec and Pavilion and the use of SMB CC equipment by third parties given permission to use the facilities should also be communicated to such third parties

 

 

 

8.2 Permission for use of the MUGA and adjacent piece of Rec for Stow Sports School on

 

9, 10 and 11 August.

 

 

 

Decision: Granted.

 

 

 

The clerk is to inform the organiser that from 2018 there will be levied a small charge for the year which is to be set by the council during budget setting for 2018/2019 FY in December.  This charge will be applied to all regular users of the rec for organised activity that is NOT of a charitable or voluntary nature.

 

 

 

8.3 Permission to use small portion of Rec on Friday mornings 9-11am and Wednesday evenings 8-9pm during term time for Exercise Classes for which fees are charged to participants.

 

 

 

Decision: Granted.

 

 

 

The clerk is to inform the organiser that from 2018 there will be levied a small charge for the year which is to be set by the council during budget setting for 2018/2019 FY in December.  This charge will be applied to all regular users of the rec for organised activity that is NOT of a charitable or voluntary nature.

 

 

 

8.4 Weekly Play Areas inspections: Change of system — Clerk has not been able to access — Update (if any): None to date.

 

 

 

8.5 Consider requested quotes, if available, for Lake Tree work:

 

 

 

The clerk requested two quotes and received two quotes. The clerk was asked to ‘park’ the quotes and to seek a third quote with a view to making a decision to proceed at the July Full Council Meeting.  Advice was received that any work should not be undertaken until the early autumn. 

 

 

 

9.  Item of Correspondence to be circulated

 

 

 

9.1 Police: Beat Report April 2017: Noted.

 

 

 

9.2 Southern Water: Consultation SE region-wide re shared long-term vision: Noted.

 

 

 

9.3 BDBC: CIL Revised Draft Charging Schedule and Statement of Modifications — request right to be heard — deadline 28/6/17. Noted.

 

 

 

9.4 HARAH: Rural Housing Week – Community led housing delivery on 5/7/17 at Wickham and Rural Housing delivery to meet community needs on 6/7/17 at Binstead. Noted.

 

 

 

9.5: HCC: Electric Vehicle Charging event on 3/7/17 at Winchester. Noted.

 

 

 

9.6 HCC: Basingstoke Transport Forum on 4/7/17. Noted.

 

 

 

9.7 (not on agenda) BDBC: Annual Civic Service for chairman and guest — 25/6/17 at 6.30pm — deadline 16/6/17. Chairman unable to attend.

 

 

 

9.8 (not on agenda) BDBC: Invitation to Neighbourhood Planning Meeting on 22 June @ 5pm. Limited to two reps from the PC and/or Neighbourhood Planning Group – Deadline for rsvps: 16/6/17.  Clerk will re-raise at the June Full Council Meeting.  Cllr Dixon and Andrew Shegog (of the NP group) were advised by the clerk last week of the invite. Noted.

 

 

 

10.  HALC/BDAPTC/SLCC/Training & Conferences Reports:

 

 

 

10.1 HALC: Agreement to provide advice to members from The Parkinson Partnership for VAT and general advice on legislation and procedures relating to parish council finances (till 31/3/18): Noted.

 

 

 

10.2 HALC: E-update — June. Noted.

 

 

 

10.3 BDBC: Parish Liaison — Annual Conference (Clerks and Chairmen) — 21 June 2017. Noted.

 

 

 

11.  Footpaths:

 

 

 

11.1.1 Footpath 36 (from the Bowling Club to opposite the war memorial) – Update: obstruction of access to footpath from frontage path of Bell’s Meadow to this public right of way footpath by a third party.

 

 

 

11.1.2 Footpath 36 (as above) — Update: Hedge Growth from four adjacent properties onto path partially restricting access along the path.

 

 

 

Above two items were minuted after item 5.1.

 

 

 

11.2 (Info only) Correction to matter under item 11 of the 10/4/17 Minutes regardingPlanning Inspectorate: HCC order determination for making Rope Yarn Lane a Restricted Byway — 15/8/17 — statements to inspector deadline should read 4/7/17 (not 6/6/17). Noted.

 

 

 

11.3 (not on agenda) Cllr Styles raised the matter of re-establishing the Footpath No 14 (from Wadwick Road to Coldharbour Farm) currently covered with a crop. The clerk to contact landowner / farmer.

 

 

 

12.  Highways/Transport/Services:

 

 

 

Cllr Styles raised the matter of difficultiesfor parking at or near Whitchurch Station for parishioners (and indeed other parish’s parishioners)

 

 

 

He has communicated out to BDBC Cllr Falconer (as acknowledged in his report [item 4.1]) and to Kit Malthouse MP (not acknowledged to date).

 

 

 

Cllr Styles has suggested via social media that impacted parishioners should inform various people about their experience with commuter parking in Whitchurch:

 

 

 

BDBC Cllr Simon Bound (the cabinet member for communities and community safety), Cllr This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. our local borough councillor) and our MP Kit Malthouse.

 

 

 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 8.40 pm.

 

These minutes are subject to approval at the Parish Council Meeting on 11 July 2017. 

 

 

 

Free business joomla templates