Draft Minutes of Full Council Meeting 13/12/16

 

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

 

Tuesday 13 December  2016 in the Village at 7.30pm

 

 

 

Present: The Chairman, Cllr David Peart and Cllrs Bridget Culley, Tony Styles, Tony Grunsell, Katie Dixon, Ray Randall, Carole Whitlock, Philip Jeffery, Hugo Wurzer (from Item 4.1) and BDBC Cllr John Izett (up to Item 4.1), HCC Cllr Tom Thacker (for item 4.2 only) and the clerk, Derek Kane.

 

 

 

Members of the Public in attendance: None.

 

 

 

The proper business of the council commenced.

 

 

 

1. Apologies for Absence: BDBC Cllr Graham Falconer.

 

 

 

2. Declarations of Interests: Cllr Dixon (Item 7.3.1)

 

 

 

3.1.1 The Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday 11 October 2016 (previously circulated).

 

 

 

Having been already circulated, Cllr Culley proposed that they were a true record and should be signed; the proposal was seconded by Cllr Randall and unanimously agreed by the council. 

 

 

 

3.1.2 Matters arising:

 

 

 

Cllr Dixon raised Item 5.1.3 from the above minutes:

 

 

 

5.1.3 (not on agenda): Cllr Dixon asked if the developer could be approached to arrange for a highways soakaway to be placed in the corner of the site adjacent to the highway where the site is first approached from Andover down the Finkley Road / Bourne Hill.  The reasoning is that further capture of Highway run-off before it reaches the junction of the B3048 would be of benefit.

 

 

 

The clerk to contact the developer.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

The clerk emailed Hyde Housing on 13 October and again chased on 27 October. No reply to date has been received. The clerk to chase again.

 

 

 

3.2.1 (subject to availability), The Minutes of the Annual Parish Assembly held on 3 May 2016.  (If not available these will be reviewed at the January Full Council Meeting).

 

 

 

Not available.

 

 

 

3.2.2 Matters arising (if applicable). Not applicable.

 

 

 

Cllr Wurzer arrived.

 

 

 

4.  Borough & County Councillor Reports. (incl update from BDBC Cllr Falconer on Rural Broadband Projects).

 

 

 

4.1 Borough Councillor’s report:

 

 

 

Cllr John Izett, one of the two borough councillors for the ward of Burghclere, Highclere and St Mary Bourne, and who normally looks after Burghclere and Highclere, was standing-in for his elected colleague for the ward, Cllr Graham Falconer.

 

a). Local Infrastructure Fund (LiF).

 

 

 

New issue to include for SMB:

 

 

 

Project

Organisation

Ward

Ring-fenced LIF funds or LIF general fund

LIF £ applied for

 

 

 

Replacement of main front and back doors at St Mary Bourne Village Centre

St Mary Bourne Village Centre Association

Burghclere, Highclere and St Mary Bourne

£35,000 ring-fenced LIF in St Mary Bourne

£13,500

 

Cllr Falconer had sent to the PCs in his ward the latest decisions on Local Infrastructure Funding which is good news for St Mary Bourne and Ecchinswell. This document along with the one which takes you to the Cabinet decision on LIF back in 2014/15 is very useful for understanding how LIF works, the decision criteria and the key dates for the next round.

 

b). Neighbourhood Plan:

 

Cllr Izett is pleased that the SMB Parish Neighbourhood Plan is making good progress. It will be the first NP in the ward of Burghclere, Highclere and SMB.

 

Cllr Dixon thanked Cllr Izett for his help on the NP.

 

c). Budget in Process:

 

Cuts in grants to parish/town councils (Limited and Council Tax Support) are being phased out and will both be 0.00 by 2010/20 (or earlier, depending on what parish/town council you are).

 

Revenue from government continues to fall.

 

Costs continue to rise.

 

Interest income low

 

Fees and charges to increase be more than inflation. (eg car park fees – which actually raise more revenue for BDBC than the BDBC Council Tax element – however free parking in Basingstoke is being extended from currently 30 mins to one hour).

 

Increase in the BDBC element of Council Tax. Increases for a Band D home to be £5 pa for the next three years then from 2020/21 about £2 pa increase thereafter.

 

Move investments away from Gilts to Commercial Property (£30m) to improve return.

 

 

 

 

 

d). Devolution:

 

Parish and Town Councils have received the BDBC Leaders letter on Devolution.  Cllr Izett’s view is that an improved version of two tier local government is the best way forward (borough and county).

 

e). Leisure Park:

 

Investing in improved and doubled facilities at Basingstoke together with a Designer Outlet Centre.

 

f). Other matters:

 

New business class hotel.  New office building planned for Basing View.

 

Cllr Styles asked about Basingstoke encouraging IT enterprises. Cllr Izett said Basingstoke has the highest number of new IT start-ups in the country. Links to Surry University with the roll-out of 5G.

 

3,400 new homes for Manydown.

 

The chairman asked about the recent request from HARAH for support from BDBC to continue. Cllr Izett said there was concern that HARAH had not been effective.  The chairman stated that HARAH had been very supportive to SMB (re Bell’s Field).  Cllr Izett said that their Deputy Leader Cllr Terri Reid has been advised to connect with parish councils for consultation

 

Cllr Styles raised the matter of road safety initiatives (like speed devices) being reported in ‘Basingstoke News’ for Bramley PC using LiF ‘ pot of money’.  Cllr Izett would look into the LiF monies available.

 

The chairman asked Cllr Izett to investigate the availability and use criteria for BDBC held 'BEST' monies (S106).

 

Cllr Izett was thanked by the chairman for his report and he then left the meeting.

 

Hampshire County Cllr Tom Thacker arrived at the meeting.

 

4.2 County Councillor’s Report:

 

a). Speed Limits:

 

Looking to extending the 30mph limit from the southern gateway on the B3048 through to past the Chapmansford Crossroads.  Also looking to progress junction and signage renewal at this junction.

 

This part of the highway will become busier when the Hurstbourne Station homes are built and occupied.

 

b). Egbury Road

 

Cllr Dixon asked about any progress for the pull-ins along the Egbury Road. Cllr Thacker stated that Hampshire Highways are aware of it

 

Cllr Thacker was thanked by the chairman for his report and he then left the meeting.

 

5.  Items for discussion:

 

 

 

5.1 Bells Field:

 

 

 

5.1.1 Update on Drop-in event for registration advice on rental and shared ownership — to be held in the Club Room on 1 Feb 2016, 4pm to 8pm.

 

 

 

A reminder that the above is scheduled as featured in the December number of H&V, the PC’s website and FB/BVS.  It will also feature in the H&V January issue and on the physical noticeboards shortly.

 

 

 

5.1.2 BDBC: Update on street name:

 

 

 

The PC at their October Full Council Meeting had settled on the name Bell's Meadow

 

 

 

The clerk had informed BDBC’s Street Name and Numbering of this decision with their reasoning:

 

 

 

The use of an apostrophe as the site was once owned (way-back) by a Mr Bell.

 

The remainder of the original Bell's Field still exists alongside the development site, so the use of 'Meadow' differentiates it.

 

The use of 'Meadow' ties in with a nearby highway from the B3048 (High Street) to the Recreation Ground / Village Centre / Village Shop which also has social housing alongside it called 'Bourne Meadow'. 

 

BDBC replied back on 8/11/16 with the following:

 

The convention for the specification for addresses is called the national data entry convention, BS7666.  New street names must meet this specification and the use of apostrophes is not permitted. 

 

Given this I am happy to put forward “Bells Meadow” to the developer for their consideration.”

 

5.2.1 Flood and Emergency Group (FEG): Update:

 

As part of the HCC Pathfinder Initiative, regrading of the Bourne river bed from the SSE substation to Green Lane has been discussed with a local contractor and a cost of circa £5k has been quoted. The chairman is currently looking for funding to cover the cost of this work.

 

At a recent inspection by the EA the FEG was advised that the area at the Gravel pits adjacent to Jones Farm in Stoke will need attention as in its present condition it is likely to contribute to future flooding. The Gravel Pits are up for sale on 14/12/16 (auction) so any negotiations will need to be with the new owner of this land.

 

HCC is to organise a Pathfinder update meeting in the new year.

 

The FEG will also be circulating a letter to all riparian owners to update them on progress with the Pathfinder Initiative    

 

 

 

 

 

The monthly water levels are as follows:

 

 

 

From Sarah Cooney (1 October):

 

Here is the latest data point from Robin’s well (1/11/16). The measurement is taken from the top of the well down to the water level. 

 

Rolling 6-monthly figures 

 

2016

cm

d

Comments

2 Jun

98

2

Level rising; river flowing

1 Jul

106

-4

Level falling; river flowing

1 Aug

133

-15

Level falling; river flowing

2 Sep

181

-35

Level falling; springs up

1 Oct

225

-44

Level falling; river down

1 Nov

285

-60

Level falling; river down

1 Dec

328

-43

Level falling; river down

 

Year on Year Comparison 

 

Date

2014

2015

2016

1 Dec

219cm

460cm

328cm

 

From Clem Jones:

 

Water levels 1 December 2016:

 

All levels are still falling, but more slowly, they are all still higher than this time last year.

 

I think we are seeing a slowdown resulting from the effect of the May through July rain, since we have had a lot of dry weather since then and no serious rain is forecast for the next few weeks.

 

I do not expect a serious ground water issue this winter.

 

Even heavy rain this month would take at last three months to percolate through the system 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Note 1.

 

The measures at the Vernham Dean Bore Hole and the gauge at Holdway Cottage are from the ground base and are depth of water.

 

 

 

Note 2.

 

The measure in the Summerhaugh well is the space between the kitchen floor and the top of the water. This is effectively the ground water level at this point in the valley.

 

 

 

 

Location

1/12

1/11

Dec LY

Vernham Dean Bore

97

98

94

Well at Valley Farm, Stoke

328

285

460

Springs at Stoke

n/a

n/a

 

Gauge at Holdway

9cm

10cm

0cm

Spring at Holdway

Dry

Dry

Dry

Well at Summerhaugh

149

 

134

177

 

 

 

 

 

5.2.2 Southern Water: Interim Report for 2016/17 and Stakeholders newsletter Summer 2016: Noted.

 

 

 

5.3.1 Neighbourhood Plan (NP): Update:

 

 

 

Consultation on 2nd draft ends on 16/12/16.

 

 

 

Cllr Styles will place a final reminder / prompt on FB/BVS.

 

 

 

The final draft will be forwarded to BDBC for forwarding to an Independent Assessor and then back to the PC.

 

 

 

5.3.2 Rural Housing Trust Ltd — Comment on NP and offer to work with PC on future affordable home developments. (+ 2016 Annual Report*).

 

 

 

Received from the Rural Housing Trust on 8/11/16:

 

 

 

Thank you for sending us the draft Neighbourhood Plan for comment. It is a well-produced document and whilst we cannot comment on the content, we are delighted to see a positive approach to the provision of affordable housing. 

 

 

 

We are interested to see that a need for affordable housing has been identified, together with new homes for first time buyers and people. You will be aware that RHTL has six shared ownership homes in Hirst Copse. We are actively working with Parish Councils on a number of new developments, with planning permission recently granted for developments in Cheshire and West Sussex. We continue to specialise in the development of rural exception sites and have funds to promote schemes through the design and planning system where a need has been established. 

 

 

 

We work with a local housing association for rented properties, and developments have to include a small number of homes for sale on the open market to provide cross subsidy. These could certainly be smaller homes for first time buyers or bungalows for people downsizing.  

 

 

 

We are keen to work with partner Parish Councils to develop new affordable housing.  I would be pleased to meet with the Parish Council to discuss how RHTL might be of assistance if that would be of interest.  Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, or let me have some dates when it would be convenient to meet if that would be helpful.”  Noted

 

 

 

*The 2016 Annual Report is actually for the English Rural Housing Association.  Hardcopy on file for any councillor to view.

 

 

 

5.4.1 ElectronicSpeed Limit Reminder: — Update — lead Cllr Hugo Wurzer.

 

 

 

Cllr Wurzer has been on site visits with an HCC Traffic Management Officer.  Three points in the parish (within SMB were i/d’d [B3048 and Egbury Road]

 

 

 

Stoke also needs to be included given that excessive speed is often witnessed on the B3058 through this hamlet.

 

 

 

Cost as would appear to be £3k per device (one to be moved around) and connections and poles, etc £750 per site.

 

 

 

Battery would need recharging although there is the possibility of solar power.

 

 

 

Clerk asked to contact Whitchurch to gauge their view.

 

 

 

5.4.2 Funding of the above for consideration in 2017/18 Budget. (see also items 5.5.2 and 6.4).

 

 

 

Cllr Dixon mooted that couldn’t BEST monies (from S106) believed to be £22k could be used?

 

 

 

5.5 Highways:

 

 

 

5.5.1 Update — lead Cllr Katie Dixon.

 

 

 

Cllr Dixon, Steve Goodall (Hants Highways) and Lengthsman have toured the parish regarding grips and ditches. Work has been done and continues to be done to maintain and keep clear these vital channels.

 

 

 

The clerk pointed out that although the £1k Lengthsman grant has been exhausted there remains the £1.2k of commission earned by the council for managing the lengthsman cluster and because very little cost has been expended in Years 2 and 3 of the scheme, there is about £520 of this commission left (£680 of the commission having been spent on Lengthsman work like ditch and grip clearance already).

 

 

 

Surface dressing of the B3048 (cancelled in 2016) due to presence of tankers for sewers and Bell’s Field work will now take place (and has been confirmed by the issue of a TRC notice (see 5.5.3).

 

 

 

When completed the existing road markings will be re-instated.

 

 

 

Highways group will look to the original request / report (of a few years ago) for more roundels and signage and see what can be prioritised to move this forward.

 

 

 

5.5.2 HCC: Community Funded Traffic Measures. (see also item 6.4).  This was considered but is not considered good value unless grants from elsewhere can be obtained, other than raising precept for SMB council tax payers for infrastructure used by other non-parish based road users or depleting reserves to below 50% of annual expenditure

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.5.3 (not on agenda) In connection with the surface dressing of the B3048 (wrongly labelled on the map as C3034) a Temporary Road Closure notice has been issued:

 

 

 

 

 

THE BASINGSTOKE AND DEANE BOROUGH COUNCIL (TEMPORARY ROAD CLOSURE) (STOKE ROAD, HURSTBOURNE TARRANT) ORDER 2017

 

Notice is hereby given that Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council pursuant to arrangements made under Section 101 of the Local Government Act 1972 with Hampshire County Council in exercise of the powers of the said County Council and in exercise of the powers under Section 14(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (“the Act”), and of all other enabling powers, proposes to make the following Order:-

 

Reason for Order: The Council are satisfied that traffic on the road should be restricted or prohibited because works are being or are proposed to be executed on or near the road.

 

Effect of Order: All traffic will be prohibited from travelling along Stoke Road, Hurstbourne Tarrant, between junction with The Square to junction with Longparish Road, as directed by traffic signs. The closure is to allow for surface dressing.

 

Duration of Order: The order will come into effect on 01 January 2017 for 1 Year. (Notwithstanding the above it is expected the closure will be no longer than 2 days)

 

Alternative Route: B3400 London Road, A3030 Churchill Way, A343 Newbury Road.

 

 

 

5.6 Review and decide on Draft Standing Orders (discussed at the October Full Council Meeting).

 

 

 

Proposed by Cllr Grunsell and seconded by Cllr Culley and approved unanimously.

 

 

 

The chairman and vice-chairman signed the orders.

 

 

 

5.7 Update on Clerk Recruitment Process and formation of Recruitment Committee.

 

 

 

Advertisement in the December number of H&V (and to be repeated in January’s too) and also on the PC’s website, on the PC’s noticeboards and FB/BVS since early December.  There is a closing date for applications of 31 January 2017.  All enquiries on the vacancy to councillors to be re-directed to the clerk who forwards a job description, person description and application form to all enquirers.

 

 

 

A recruitment sub-committee of three will be set-up including the chairman and vice-chairman

 

 

 

Clerk to forward advert to Cllr Culley and Dixon for inclusion at other village noticeboards / shops.

 

 

 

The clerk to enquire about cost of advertisement in the Andover Advertiser.

 

 

 

Cllr Grunsell to check out an agency he utilises in his employment.

 

 

 

The clerk advised that there are currently 5 clerk vacancies being advertised on HALCs website in the county of Hampshire.

 

 

 

5.8 BDBC: Local Infrastructure Fund applications: proposals for funding and Statement of S106 money (see also 6.4 and 10.5).

 

 

 

Discussed under 4.1 (Cllr Izett’s report).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6. Finance

 

 

 

6.1.1 The Minutes of the Finance Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 8 November 2016 (previously circulated).

 

 

 

6.1.2 Matters arising. None.

 

 

 

6.2 Review and decide on Draft Financial Risks Document (discussed at the November Finance Committee Meeting).

 

 

 

In agenda this item had been incorrectly labelled: it should have read ‘Regulations’ not ‘Risks’.  A ‘Risks’ assessment will be undertaken before YE.

 

 

 

The Draft Financial Regulations Document was proposed by Cllr Wurzer and seconded by Cllr Grunsell and approved unanimously.

 

 

 

The chairman and vice-chairman signed the orders.

 

 

 

6.3 BDBC: Local Infrastructure Fund applications — Proposals for funding

 

 

 

Agenda item duplicated in error from 5.8.

 

 

 

6.4 To discuss the Finance Committees Budget Proposals for the 2017/18 Financial Year.

 

 

 

Note: Precept setting for 2017/18 will be discussed and agreed at the Full Council Meeting on 10 January 2017 in the light of BDBC Council Tax Support (CTS) Scheme*, Limited Grant^ and tax base having not yet been confirmed by the borough council, together with referendum principals (HMG still to firmly rule on triggering and scope [all councils, larger councils, council tax collecting councils?]— impact on precept. Borough to advise final tax base, confirmed grant levels and any referendum principals by 9 January 2017.  Precept and Grant return deadline to BDBC is 31 January 2017.  The clerk has received indications from BDBC officers that it is likely that all other grants (maintenance, wicket, and litter collection) will remain at 2016/17 levels with a 1% increase.

 

 

 

*BDBC are proposing for 2017/18 to reduce SMB PC’s CTS by 33% [from £1,503 to £1,002] with a further reduction for 2018/19 to c.£500 and to £0 for 2019/20.

 

 

 

^BDBC are proposing for 2017/18 to reduce SMB PC’s Limited Grant from the current year’s level of £1,100 to £0.

 

 

 

The clerk had forwarded his notes to the council on the Budget Proposals for 2017/18:

 

 

 

Income:

 

 

 

Limited Grant from BDBC has reduced from £1,100 to £0.00.

 

 

 

Council Tax Support Grant from BDBC has reduced from £1.503 to £1,002.

 

 

 

Maintenance Grants from BDBC have increased from £11,351 to £11,464.

 

 

 

An inflation increase of 1% has been applied to income we set (Fishing, Football and Model Yacht Club).

 

No increase has been applied to ‘peppercorns’ (Shop, Bowling Club).

 

 

 

Interest has been estimated to be reduced from £237 to £180.

 

 

 

Vat refund - estimate (from 16/17) due by May ’17 is much larger than in previous years largely due to Premier Grounds now levying VAT, NP Plan (£4.6k) and Planters (£2.3k).

 

 

 

No provision or assumption for project grants, donations or unexpected / windfall income has been made.  In previous years donations have been received from Youth Football and H&V refund (for example) but should not be assumed for 2017/18.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Expenditure (significant changes):

 

 

 

Clerk’s salary and PAYE: I have increased the salary provision by circa £2k (+£360 for PAYE) on the assumption that the replacement clerk will be on the same salary as me and a provision for payments (on payroll) to me during 2017/18 to assist the new clerk and council during the coming year.

 

 

 

NB1: The range of salary rates (for 78h contracted month for 2017/18) ranges from £8,305 to £11,760 pa. The salary level is determined by whether the clerk is (or has been) a clerk elsewhere and their current/previous salary scale.  An inexperienced clerk would normally start at a lower scale

 

The current clerk is due to move from 1/4/17 to a salary of £10,347 (or £11.054 per hour).

 

 

 

NB2: The current clerk anticipates that he will have about a month’s hours ‘paid but not worked’ on 31/3/17 and will use these from 1/4/17 before requesting any hourly payment for services to the council during 2017/18 as regards training, support and attendance / advice.

 

 

 

Conference fees and Training: None was incurred during 2016/17 to date vs a budget of £300.  I have increased the budget to £500 in anticipation of the replacement clerk requiring some training.

 

 

 

Payroll Admin: We currently pay fees for 1 employee of c.£70.  The service provider charges a higher fee for 2 employees of c.£110.  In my view this service is excellent value for money and frees up clerk’s time and removes the risk of fines from HMRC that can be much higher than these charges.  Assuming I do no further work for the council in 2018/19 then this charge can be reduced back down again to 1 employee.

 

 

 

*Play Ground Project: I have estimated provision for a couple of pieces of new equipment and maintenance at £5k.  Alternatively if the PC looks to minimising any precept increase and/or is not able to obtain grants I have provided for £500 for maintenance.

 

 

 

*Speed Reminder Device: I have estimated provision (if purchased) of £4k. Alternatively if the PC looks to minimising any precept increase and/or is not able to obtain grants I have reduced this to zero.  There is also the possibility that the devices can be rented and although I have not stated this explicitly in the budget provision for rental (three times a year) would need to be budetged for AND the erection of street furniture to mount these devices.

 

 

 

The clerk points out that the PC already owns and has paid for the current Speed Indication Device which, for the want of a group of parishioners, can be deployed for Community Speed Watch, which appears to be successful in other parishes in the local police division (together there are 100 such schemes in the county). This same device could also, AT NO COST, be deployed as a speed reminder device, ANYWHERE in a speed controlled part of the parish, so long as one volunteer can discretely supervise it.

 

 

 

*Concrete table tennis table: I have estimated provision for this at £2.5k.  Alternatively if the PC looks to minimising any precept increase and/or is not able to obtain grants I have provided for this not be pursued for 2017/18.

 

 

 

Lake Edges / bank rebuild and Flood Prevention tasks: I have estimated provision for £2k x 2.  This could be offset by grants and/or charges to riparian owners (unpopular).  I suggest, grant or no grant, the PC pursues this for 2017/18.

 

*Adult gym equipment (outdoors): I have estimated provision for this at £12.5k (5 units x £2.5k).  Alternatively if the PC looks to minimising any precept increase and/or is not able to obtain grants I have provided for this not be pursued for 2017/18.

 

 

 

*New walks map leaflet and boards: I have estimated provision for this at £1.5k.  Alternatively if the PC looks to minimising any precept increase and/or is not able to obtain grants I have provided for this not be pursued for 2017/18.

 

 

 

Reserves:

 

 

 

I estimate the reserves on 31/3/17 to be in the region of £39k.  This represents about 57% of the estimated expenditure for 2016/17 and is a healthy state of affairs.

 

 

 

For 2017/18 keeping the precept to the same level as 2016/17 or allowing a 2% increase in the precept would reduce the reserves to c.£34k by 31/3/18 representing about 56% of the projected expenditure (lower estimate) for 2017/18.  The clerk suggests that the reserves should not fall below 50% of expenditure for the next two or three years which is c.£30k.

 

 

 

Precept:

 

 

 

I have modelled three Precept levels:

 

 

 

Meeting expenditure from Precept (lower estimates – see * exclusions):

 

 

 

£24,434 – c.25% increase. I estimate this would result in a Band D property having an increase in Council Tax (the PC element) of £12+ pa. ^

 

 

 

Meeting expenditure and keeping Precept level the same (lower estimates – see * exclusions): £19,497 — c.£4.8k reduction in reserves.

 

 

 

Meeting expenditure and raising Precept level by 2% (lower estimates – see * exclusions):

 

 

 

£19,887 — c.£4.4k reduction in reserves. Less than £1pa increase in council tax. ^

 

 

 

^The above makes clear the case made by HALC in opposing referendum principles for Town and Parish Councils for increase >2% on precept. A referendum would cost the local authority which funds elections/referendum circa £500!  Some town and parish councils bear this cost although to date in BDBC we don’t (but in the end the council tax payer loses or there is a further reduction in services).

 

 

 

Obviously other increases in precept are open to you, grants are a possibility for projects (including those set-aside from the lower estimates) and donations and ‘wind-fall’ income may occur (but is not assured)

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Noted.  A decision on the final budget and precept set will be taken at the Full Council Meeting on 10 January 2017. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.5 Monthly accounts: December.

 

 

 

Account

Amount

Treasurers Account

950.55

Investment Account

33,008.38

Petty Cash Account

4.84

Lloyds TSB Fixed Term Deposit

20,000.00

Less un-presented cheques

0.00

Closing Balance

53,963.77

 

 

 

 

 

#1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#1

 

 

 

#1 Balance in Investment Account & Closing Balance includes £6,740.00 of Lengthsman grant from HCC (drawn from remaining balances of 2015/16 and 2016/17 grant.held on behalf of 11 associate parish and town councils.

 

 

 

Payment made since the Finance Committee Meeting on 8 November 2016:

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No

Amount

The George Inn (shrubs and compost for planters on Highway)

2671

63.00

TOTAL

 

63.00

 

 

 

Above payment was agreed at the Planning Committee Meeting on 22 November 2016.

 

 

 

Receipts since the Full Council Meeting held on 13 September 2016 (into Business Investment Account):

 

 

 

Source

Date

Amount

Bank interest

9/11/16

1.50

 TOTAL

 

1.50

 

 

 

Lengthsman funds, as at 30/11/16 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c, on behalf of the 10 associate town and parish councils.

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

7,500.00

Ecchinswell

 

160.00+vat

8/11/16

7,340.00

Newtown

 

180.00+vat

8/11/16

7,160.00

East Woodhay

 

30.00+vat

8/11/16

7,130.00

c/f

 

 

 

7,130.00 #2

 

 

 

#5 Hurstbourne Priors PC had overspent their 2016/17 Lengthsman grant by £390.00.  Therefore, the actual balance of funds held by SMB PC on behalf of the 11 associate councils is £6,740.00.

 

 

 

The clerk continues to discuss with the councils who had unspent monies from 2015/16 as to bringing forward extra work asap (East Woodhay, Overton and Ashford Hill & Headley). 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Payments Due at Meeting:  

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No.

Amount

Derek Kane (salary)

2672

669.82

Derek Kane (expenses)

2673

28.25

Cllr David Peart (expenses)

2674

27.05

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance for SMB

2675

747.00

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance – Lengthsman

2676

288.00

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance – Lengthsman for East Woodhay PC

2677

120.00

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance – Lengthsman for Longparish PC

2678

324.00

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance – Lengthsman for Highclere PC

2679

600.00

FA Tarrant (Litter Pick)

2680

280.80

AECOM (Bal of payment for SEA on NP).

2681

801.00

Vitaplay

2682

469.80

Viking

2683

77.17

Total

 

4,432.89

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A post-dated payment (dated 5/1/17) was agreed and signed at the meeting

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No.

Amount

HMRC (Q3 2016/17)

2684

541.69

Total

 

541.69

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Invoices raised since the Finance Committee Meeting on 8/11/16:

 

 

 

To

Inv No.

Dated

Amount

BDBC (For balance of SEA grant for NP)

13/16

29/11/16

667.50

Total

 

 

667.50

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Invoice 12/16 dated 26 October 2016 to Hurstbourne Priors PC for £390.00 remains unpaid as at 13/12/16. The clerk will chase for payment.

 

 

 

Provision to be made £1,000.00 for any unforeseen expenses this month.  It was agreed to transfer £5,100.00 from the Business Investment account to the Treasurers account.

 

 

 

The acceptance of the reconciled accounts for the month of December was proposed by Cllr Grunsell    and seconded by Cllr Randall and unanimously agreed by the Full Council.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.  Planning:

 

 

 

7.1.1 Report from Planning Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 25 October 2016 (previously circulated).

 

 

 

7.1.2 Matters arising from the Report: None.

 

 

 

7.1.3 Report from Planning Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 22 November 2016 (previously circulated).

 

 

 

7.1.4 Matters arising from the Report: None.

 

 

 

7.2 Planning Applications for discussion at meeting:

 

 

 

7.2.1 — 16/04033/HSE — L’Ancresse. High Street, SMB, SP11 6AY — Erection of single storey side and rear extensions and front porch canopy (part Retrospective).

 

 

 

Decision: No objection.

 

 

 

7.2.2 — 16/04164/HSE — Chessetts, Lower Link, SMB, SP11 6DB — Erection of a stone front portico.

 

 

 

Decision: No objection.

 

 

 

7.2.3 — 16/04216/HSE — Little Barn, Lower Link, SMB, SP11 6DB — Single garage with storage above. Driveway to garage.

 

 

 

Decision: No objection.

 

 

 

7.2.4 — (info only) — 16/04357/LDPO — 2 Spring Leaze, Stoke Lane, Stoke, SP11 0LY — Certificate of Lawfulness for the proposed erection of a single storey rear extension. Noted.

 

 

 

7.3 Trees — Notices of Intent:

 

 

 

7.3.1 — T/00476/16/TCA — Barford House, Stoke Lane, SMB — 22 various trees (pollarding, felling, reducing, removal of limbs, shaping and trim):

 

 

 

Willows (T1/T2) Pollard to 6ft; Poplar (T3)  Fell, self-seeded; Sycamores (T4/T5) Fell, Self seeded; Cherries (T6/T7) Fell, One self-seeded, low amenity and one dying off; Ash (T8) Fell,  self-seeded and too tall for position, also shading neighbour; Conifers (T9/T10) Crowding other trees so reduce or take out T9 and/or T10 when  other surrounding trees have been dealt with to see if necessary; Pear (T11) 7m high, Reduce height by 50%,  self-seeded, too tall for space; Field Maple (T12)  Take off limb over stream which is leaning over neighbours house; Thorn (T13) 6m high Reduce height by 33%; Thorn (T14) Fell, Dead; Thorn (T15) 4 m high Self-seeded - reduce height by 2m and shape by reducing all over by 1m; Maple (T16) 4 m high Self-seeded - reduce height by 2 m and shape by reducing all over by 1m; Hollies (T17/T18) 12/13 m high. Reduce height by 20% on the top and round off; Thorn (T19) 10m high Reduce by  30%; Holly (T20) 12m high  Reduce height by 50% and shape - Electric cable runs through top branches; Conifer (T21) 15m high  Reduce by 2/3 in height as it is  shading neighbour's garden and also reduce remaining  all round by 20%; Conifer (T22) 12 m high Trim all over - hanging over the road and garden; Copper Beech (T23) Fell,  Self-seeded, hanging over the road and crowding thorn next to it.

 

 

 

Decision: No objection.

 

 

 

7.3.2 — T/00439/16/TCA — Batsford (to provide set-down / pick-up area for school traffic) — initiated and supported by PC — confirmed at 22/11/16 Planning Committee Meeting (for tree works). Application for tree works considered by BDBC and granted on 2/12/16. (See also Item 7.9). Noted.

 

 

 

The clerk will discuss with the chairman as to when to request the removal of trees and undergrowth will be undertaken. No other groundworks to take place at this juncture (see item 7.9)

 

 

 

7.4 Advice of Planning Applications considered by BDBC:

 

 

 

16/03267/HSE — Wadwick House, Wadwick Bottom, SP11 6ET — Erection of oak framed garage building following demolition of existing.

 

 

 

Granted on 14/11/16

 

 

 

7.5 Planning applications withdrawn to be noted (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.6 Planning appeals (notifications, if any): None.

 

 

 

7.7 Compliance (if any):

 

 

 

7.8 Other parish councils’ planning matters (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.9 Other Planning matters:

 

 

 

Batsford (car set-down / pick-up area) – Update: BDBC: indicate formal planning permission required (change of use).

 

 

 

The application for PP will be taken forward by the chairman, together with possible grant support to cover costs (or some costs) of works.

 

 

 

8.  Recreation Ground and Lake:

 

 

 

8.1 (info only) — BDBC: latest weekly play inspection. Noted.

 

 

 

8.2 (info only) — Chairman had granted use of MUGA for parking for The December Lunch – 14/12/16 [late notice given] (+ for auction in village hall later that day). Noted.

 

 

 

8.3 SMB Flower Show: Permission to use Recreation Ground for Flower Show: 29/7/17.

 

 

 

Granted.

 

 

 

8.4 (not on agenda) — Request dated 9/12/16 for use of Recreation Ground as a football pitch for U13s Whitchurch on 17/12/16 and for a ‘Married vs Singles’ match on the same on 26/12/16 from Malcolm Butler.

 

 

 

Decision: Both requests granted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.  Item of Correspondence to be circulated:

 

 

 

9.1 Letter from parishioner 18/10/16 re junction at Dirty Corner and clerk’s reply:

 

 

 

The clerk had passed on the parishioner’s concerns to the relevant parish council.  (Hurstbourne Priors PC) re the vegetation overgrowth on the left hand side of the junction before the left hand turn up to Jamaica Farm. He had also informed Hants Highways who do an annual cut of roadside hedgerows that attention more frequently needs to be paid at junctions and reminded Hurstbourne Priors of this. The eastern side of the Junction (Bloswood Lane and The Harroway (with passing places) lies within Whitchurch Town Council.

 

 

 

9.2 HCC: Hampshire Pride. Noted

 

 

 

9.3 Police: Beat Reports for October and November. Noted.

 

 

 

9.4 BDBC: Devolution Letter from the Leader Cllr Clive Saunders. Noted.

 

 

 

9.5 HCC: November News for Local Councils. Noted.

 

 

 

9.6 (not on agenda) BDBC: ‘Have Your Say’ grants (£200 to £1,000): deadline 20/1/17. (Open day 9/3/17). Noted.

 

 

 

10.  HALC/BDAPTC/SLCC/Training & Conferences Reports:

 

 

 

10.1 (via HALC) ‘Negotiate a better Outcome in Planning’ course by a third party (‘Devolve’) at Winchester on 25/1/17. Noted.

 

 

 

10.2 NALC: Councillor Commission — Interim Report 10/2016. Noted.

 

 

 

10.3 HALC: Pilot Breakfast Briefings in January and March. Noted.

 

 

 

10.4 NALC: Update on Council Tax Referendum principles (sector’s representation to HMG minister). Noted.

 

 

 

10.5 BDBC: Clerk’s report on Parish Liaison meeting 21/11/16 (incl note on Community Infrastructure Levy [CiL]).

 

 

 

Two matters I would like to comment on for the above meeting which I attended:

 

 

 

1). Although not stated in the minutes I was informed that CiL monies, when released, are paid into our PCs bank account, and have to be used for bona fide items and, if not used, paid back after five years.  Also, because it likely we will have the NP in place by the launch (Summer 2017), the PC can command 25% of CiL receipts vs 15% for non-NP councils

 

 

 

2). In seven years I have gone to all, bar one, of what were a 3x a year Liaison meeting for Clerks, with a chairman/clerks meeting once a year.  I believe, because of the recent announcement on the Limited Grant being ended (for this PC in 2017/18) and CTS being phased out over two years (for all councils £0 in 2019/20), the meeting was attended and 'taken-over' by a number of parish council chairman who dominated the meeting with questions about 'their patch' vis a vis budgets and how are they going to cope!

 

 

 

I commented on this in feedback and I am glad to see that BDBC have responded in the formal minutes.

 

 

 

I find these PC Liaison meetings are rewarding as there is a more collegiate atmosphere between officers and clerks, then what occurred on the 21/11.  It is for the BDAPTC meetings, for which chairman are invited, that is the vehicle for them to liaise with BDBC in a meeting session.

 

 

 

10.6 HALC: Invitation to Board Awayday and Open Forum – 24/1/17. Noted.

 

 

 

10.7 HALC: Offer of English Planning in Crisis publication at reduced price) — publication will be foc to delegates attending a basic planning course in 2017. Noted.

 

 

 

11.  Footpaths:

 

 

 

11.1 HCC: Offer for Footpaths Workshops – January to April:

 

 

 

Cllr Styles expressed interest in this and will pass on to Caroline Hoyes too. Cllr Styles to organise.

 

 

 

11.2 (not on agenda) HCC Countryside Access – Small Grants scheme — next deadline: 23/1/17. Noted.

 

 

 

12.  Highways/Transport/Services

 

 

 

12.1 Highways (See Item 5.5).

 

 

 

12.2 (not on agenda) BDBC: Scrutiny Committee:

 

 

 

The following email was received from BDBC on 12/12/16:

 

 

 

“Good afternoon Councillors,

 

 

 

The Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee has asked me to contact you in advance of an item coming to the Scrutiny Committee in March which will consider how we can develop an integrated transport system in Basingstoke and how can Stagecoach help us to establish that integrated transport system, looking at the working relationship with Stagecoach and working to get services that residents need.

 

 

 

The Chair has asked that Councillors and Parishes are involved in this process to better enable the committee to understand the position affecting residents across the borough.

 

 

 

As such, if there are any specific points you would like the Scrutiny Committee to take into account during its considerations, we would be glad to receive them.

 

 

 

The Chair has requested that as Councillors, the focus is on the issues affecting the borough as a whole and to try and avoid parochial issues as far as possible.

 

 

 

If you’re able to send any responses to [Democratic Service Officer] by the end of January, I would be very grateful.”

 

 

 

Noted.

 

 

 

 

 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.40pm.

 

 

 

These minutes are subject to approval at the Parish Council Meeting on 10 January 2017. 

 

Free business joomla templates