Draft Minutes of Full Council Meeting 14 June 2016

 

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

 

Tuesday 14 June 2016 in the Village at 7.30pm

 

 

 

Present: The Chairman, Cllr David Peart and Cllrs Bridget Culley, Ray Randall, Tony Styles, Tony Grunsell, Hugo Wurzer (from item 5.1) and the clerk, Derek Kane.

 

 

 

Members of the Public in attendance: Two.

 

 

 

Time for public speaking:

 

 

 

The chairman asked if any member of the public wished to address the council.  There were none.

 

 

 

The proper business of the council commenced.

 

 

 

1. Apologies for Absence: BDBC Cllr Graham Falcon and Cllrs Katie Dixon and Philip Jeffery.

 

 

 

2. Declarations of Interests: None.

 

 

 

3.1.1 The Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday 10 May 2016 (previously circulated).

 

 

 

The clerk advised that he had received representations from Cleanslate about the draft minute comments attributed to them.

 

 

 

Within item 5.1 the following has been replaced:

 

 

 

They have met with Hurstbourne Priors PC who take the view that although within their parish there will be a strong tendency, when residents and workers are in place at the completion of the proposed development to travel to SMB village for local services, many of which don’t exist in Hurstbourne Priors.”

 

 

 

with

 

 

 

“They have met with Hurstbourne Priors PC’s chairman and vice-chairman. 

 

 

 

“Cleanslate anticipate that residents in the new development would use facilities in SMB like the village shop.”

 

 

 

Having been already circulated, Cllr Randall proposed that they were a true record and should be signed; the proposal was seconded by Cllr Grunsell and unanimously agreed by the council. 

 

 

 

      1. Matters arising: None.

         

        3.2 The Minutes of the Annual Parish Assembly (APA) held on 2 May are still being prepared and will be considered at the July Full Council Meeting.

         

        3.3.1 (omitted in error from the agenda) The Minutes of the Annual Parish Council Meeting held on Tuesday 10 May 2016 (previously circulated).

         

        Having been already circulated, Cllr Grunsell proposed that they were a true record and should be signed; the proposal was seconded by Cllr Randall and unanimously agreed by the council. 

         

        3.3.2 Matters arising: None.

 

 

 

4.  Borough & County Councillor Reports.

 

 

 

No reports were received from our borough and county councillors.

 

 

 

Under this item. Cllr Styles, raised with the meeting, his contact with BDBC Cllr Falconer, regarding his complaint about the attitude and response (and indeed lack of an ‘on the ground response’) from BDBC’s Principal Environmental Health Officer regarding the various sewage leakage on to the roads and consequent clean-up.  The response was that it was for residents to request Southern Water to attend and manage.  Cllr Styles asked what are we paying this officer for?  In fairness to Southern Water they have been working very hard on stopping the leakages and in cleaning-up but Cllr Styles felt that BDBC should at least be on the ground ensuring that all the public health implications of sewage on the street surface is being attended to.

 

 

 

Cllr Styles feels that once again there is a neglect of the rural community by Basingstoke from some of their officers.  Cllr Styles complemented Southern Water regarding the attention they have been giving to the current situation.

 

 

 

Cllr Styles then raised with the chairman recent communications between them regarding Cllr Styles’ approach to raising issues with Hyde Housing about vehicular access to the Bell’s Field site.  The chairman had felt that Cllr Styles’ style approach was inappropriate.  Cllr Styles disagreed with him.  The chairman said that no one can be prevented from using any highway.  It cannot be built into a planning agreement.  As with all developments all we can do is ask / suggest and this was something he and the clerk have been doing since the development was approved by BDBC. 

 

 

 

The clerk had met with the site manager shortly after the first ‘incorrect’ access to the site (through the centre of the village) and discussed with him the need for all large and long vehicles belonging to their contractor, sub-contractors and suppliers arriving and leaving the site to access from the A343 at Hurstbourne Tarrant, not to approach along the B3048 from the south nor use any other minor road in the parish, other than the Finkley Road turnoff from the B3048 a short distance to the site.  As most of their traffic comes from the south the clerk suggested that drivers should use the A303 to Andover and then follow signage for Newbury on the A343 utilising the Andover ring-road.

 

 

 

5. Items for discussion:

 

 

 

Cllr Wurzer arrived at the meeting.

 

 

 

5.1 Flood and Emergency Group (FEG):

 

 

 

Recent issues as regards sewer overflows into the street have been generally quickly addressed by Southern Water and clean-ups by them organised.

 

 

 

Also an improvement in communications out has taken place with the PC posting SW updates on the PC’s website and FB/BVS.  SW also plan to write to all households and to have a weekly drop-in facility at the village centre:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SW update 14/6/16:

 

Explanation from Southern Water about works and 'lorry stack' / TTLs near the War Memorial:

 

Stacking tankers in St Mary Bourne

 

The only way to repair the sewers is to survey them first of all to identify where groundwater is infiltrating them. There is only a short optimum window to carry out this work: when groundwater levels are just above the sewer and falling. Normally, we would wait until groundwater levels reach this point naturally. We would then operate a mobile CCTV camera remotely inside the sewer to identify the points of infiltration. You will appreciate that we cannot identify these locations in a fully surcharged sewer. However, because the village has had to suffer from tankering since February 2nd, we are using tankers to suck down the levels of groundwater in the sewers to artificially create optimum conditions for survey. We then assess the film footage and make temporary repairs immediately. Some such repairs commenced last week. Today we encountered a problem with the camera, which had to be repaired. Obviously, there was no point in tankers sucking down levels if we could not survey. I believe this is what caused the stacking while the camera was being repaired.

 

We have apologised for the inconvenience caused by tankers on many occasions and I do so again now but I can assure you that their present use - to quickly identify where groundwater is getting into the sewers and repair those locations - is the quickest way of removing tankers altogether from the village, The alternative is to wait until groundwater levels recede naturally but his could take months and tankers would be required throughout that time to protect the bathroom, toilet and kitchen facilities of our customers.

 

Some residents have pointed out to me that the traffic light system makes the road safer for pedestrians as there is only one stream of traffic to be concerned about at each red/amber/green cycle

 

I hope to arrange a customer drop-in session in the village next week so that I can speak directly to customers

 

I ask that you bear with us until we can sort this problem as quickly as possible.

 

SW update 13/6/16:

 

 

 

On FB/BVS it has been stated by at least one contributor that overpumping is taking place into The Bourne upstream in the village.

 

This is NOT the case.

 

The clerk enquired today (13/6) about this with the Southern Water manager assigned to this village:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"We have not over pumped this year at all, save for a brief three-minute period some weeks ago when we turned on a pump in Gangbridge Lane to trial it. However, the Environment Agency and Vitacress prefer us to manage the situation in the village by continuing to use tankers, so we shall not be over pumping. Please bear in mind that whenever we have over pumped in the past we have adopted stringent water quality tests and the wastewater lifted from the top of the sewer is heavily diluted. It is also subjected to some degree of treatment before entering a fast-flowing Bourne. However, the issue of over pumping is academic this year as it is not an option we are pursuing. Even though groundwater levels remain unseasonably high, we are presently carrying out temporary repairs to the public and private sewers and increasing the capacity of the pumping station to increase the flows we can pump away from the village. This has already allowed us to reduce the number of tankers in the village from seven to three."

 

SW update 10/6/16:

 

 

 

Latest update from Southern Water on Sewer issues (June 10)

 

"You will know from recent updates that the sewer survey taking place in St Mary Bourne has been successful in identifying locations where substantial amounts of groundwater are infiltrating the sewer system. When I last updated you on May 27 we had identified infiltration accounting for a quarter of the flows to the pumping station. The survey has continued this week with similar success. In total we now know where... repairs can be made which should account for approximately half of the flows to the station.

 

It is worth repeating that a significant number of major leaks have been found on customers’ private laterals which Southern Water, on this occasion, will repair at the company’s expense to help relieve the village.

 

Repair work to private and public sewers would normally have to wait until ground water levels recede but, in a village which has suffered from the inconvenience caused by tankers since February 2nd, we are making temporary repairs where practicable straight away. Some of these repairs have already taken place.

 

Meanwhile, a new, larger pump being trialled at the pumping station has allowed flows away from the village to be increased. However, this remains a trial as we are closely monitoring the pressure of the rising main.

 

Nevertheless, the above measures have helped to reduce the size of the convoy of tankers working in the village. The size of the fleet will reduce further in the near future once the survey work, supported by tankers to draw down levels of groundwater so that remote CCTV cameras can travel the sewers, is complete.

 

Southern Water apologises for the spilling manhole overnight on June 9, particularly to those near Tudor Cottage who were most affected. Jetting the sewer earlier that day, which encountered and cleared a blockage, may have contributed to this but we have established that the problem is associated with a microstation serving a nearby property. We are investigating. The road is being cleaned and disinfected today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SW update 3/6/16:

 

 

 

You will know from my email of May 27 that the camera survey of the sewers in St Mary Bourne was to continue the week commencing Monday, June 6. This short note is to keep you informed that the survey team will also be working on Saturday (tomorrow) and Sunday to help locate where the sewer system is being infiltrated by high levels of groundwater.

 

 

 

Southern Water apologises for the inconvenience caused by this work which will involve a camera vehicle and a jetter, particularly during a weekend, but I'm sure you will appreciate that it is vital that we identify where the sewer system is being infiltrated so that repairs can be made as soon as possible.

 

 

 

Usually, we would wait for groundwater levels to drop before surveying the sewers as it is not possible to survey a surcharged sewer. However, as we did last week, we shall again employ a tanker to temporarily suck down the level of groundwater in the sewers wherever possible so that a mobile camera can travel their length and identify where infiltration is taking place, thus allowing us to put in place a repair programme as expeditiously as possible.

 

 

 

I have previously provided you with some results of the first week of survey and will endeavour to update you again at the end of next week. Meanwhile, following further modelling at the pumping station and of the rising main, the new pump will be trialled from Monday.

 

 

 

SW update 27/5/16:

 

 

 

When I last wrote to you on May 16 I said I would keep you up to date with what Southern Water is doing in St Mary Bourne.

 

 

 

A CCTV survey this week of the sewer system serving St Mary Bourne, where a convoy of tankers continues to work to protect the bathroom, toilet and kitchen facilities of residents, is proving successful.

 

 

 

Assisted by a specialist vehicle to suck down the levels in the surcharged sewers so that a camera can detect where groundwater is getting into the system, the survey which commenced on Monday has already identified significant infiltration of groundwater from both sewers and customers’ lateral drains.

 

 

 

A substantial part of the £1 million invested by Southern Water during the past three years to survey and seal the village’s sewer system has been attributed to improving customers’ laterals which the company is NOT responsible for. However, with groundwater levels in the village at an unseasonably high level this year, Southern Water is again committed to identifying and making repairs to prevent groundwater from infiltrating both public and private pipelines as soon as possible.

 

 

 

The major sources of infiltration found in this week’s survey are at a new housing estate near the wastewater pumping station and from a property or properties near the Bourne Valley Inn. The long section of sewer between the public house and the pumping station was the main target of the survey which moved onto other locations in the village on Friday where three further significant locations of clear groundwater breaking into the sewer system were identified. In total it is estimated that the infiltration identified accounts for a quarter of the flows to the pumping station.

 

 

 

Further key parts of St Mary Bourne’s sewer system will be targeted when the camera survey recommences the week commencing June 6. Initial repairs are also scheduled to commence that week.

 

 

 

Meanwhile, trials to upgrade the pump at the pumping station and investigations of the rising main have completed this week. A larger capacity pump will be fitted towards the end of next week once an uprated power supply has been provided. The larger capacity pump is required to move increased flows as Southern Water is unable to over pump into the Bourne due to the high water levels at the station which is opposite the Vitacress watercress fields.

 

I’ll keep you updated with the progress of the survey and repairs.

 

 

 

SW update 17/5/16:

 

Southern Water Communique re Sewers received 17 May 2016:

 

Firstly, my apologies for not updating you in recent weeks with events in St Mary Bourne. My absence was due to illness but I know that my colleagues have been keeping some of you informed.

 

During that time groundwater infiltration of the local sewer network has worsened with the result that we have increased the use of tankers. Again, Southern Water apologises for the inconvenience which this has caused but I’m sure you will appreciate that their use in emergency conditions is vital to help protect the bathroom, kitchen and toilet facilities of our customers.

 

We are working closely with the Parish Council and have agreed not to tanker overnight due to the disturbance which this would cause. Ideally we wish to over pump from the pumping station as over pumping can remove flows approximately 30 times quicker than a tanker but we cannot do so due to the vicinity of the Vitacress watercourse and the pollution this may cause.

 

Recently, we have momentarily trialled over pumping at two other locations in the village – at Holdaway Cottages and Gangbridge Lane. We conduct stringent water quality tests whenever we over pump and on this occasion, as the sewers emptied ammonia levels increased so we quickly turned off the pumps.

 

We have also cleared some blockages in the sewer system and are investigating the hydraulics of the network which may have changed since repairing a bellied pipe last year.
We have also put in place a daily clean-up of locations where manholes are overflowing, although initially this did not prove to be entirely successful due to our contractor’s vehicles not cleaning at the instructed times. This has now been addressed.
Our plan now is to increase the size of the pumps at the pumping station so that flows can be removed more quickly, allowing tankers to be stood down. The station presently pumps at 21 litres per second and the new pumps to be installed will boost the capacity to 28 litres per second – an increase of 33%.

 

We appreciate, of course, that the above measures are treating the symptoms rather than the cause. Despite investing more than £1 million in recent years in surveying and sealing the local sewer network, we still need to identify further locations of infiltration. I’m afraid that’s the unpredictable nature of groundwater. Although we know that our substantial investment in St Mary Bourne’s sewer system has brought benefits, there are never any guarantees that the problem has been solved as sealing one part of the sewer network can increase the ground water table locally because it is no longer being drained via the sewers. The result is that it finds another way into the sewers, usually via the next highest joint which previously it may not have reached and therefore could not be identified during a sewer survey.

 

It is a long term battle as points of ingress will continue to appear in different places. To help resolve that problem in St Mary Bourne we have a survey team standing by to spend a week in the village once groundwater levels have fallen to an appropriate level. Any locations showing significant infiltration will then be repaired.

 

In closing, I would like to thank the Parish Council and others in the village for their co-operation, support and local knowledge in helping us to identify and resolve the problems in St Mary Bourne.

 

 

 

[post meeting] SW update 16/6/16:

 

Another spilling manhole in St Mary Bourne, just upstream of the war memorial, justifiably caused concern amongst residents earlier this week. This was caused by jetting to clear the sewers of any blockages or silt prior to a CCTV survey which is proving extremely successful in identifying locations where the sewers are being infiltrated. The survey (and subsequent repairs) would not be possible without the support of a jetter and four tankers to suck down levels of groundwater in the sewer. The road has been cleaned and Southern Water apologises for the incident.

 


Thank you for helping us to keep customers informed via posts on the village's Facebook site and on the parish council's. I shall be writing directly to every customer in the village to explain why we have been tankering since February 2nd and why there is an additional fleet of four tankers and a jetter in the village this week. I want to reassure everyone that we are leaving no stone unturned to identify leaks and make repairs. Indeed, a conference of senior managers and engineers which takes place in Chichester tomorrow has been devoted entirely to resolving the issues in St Mary Bourne. I'll provide you with a further update at the end of this week. Meanwhile, the fitting of a larger capacity pump at the pumping station has greatly increased flows of groundwater away from the village to 28 litres a second compared to circa 18 to 20 litres. I'll provide you with the latest results from this week's survey at the end of this week.

 


Derek, Just to let you know, a colleague has left you a voicemail to enquire whether I could hire the village hall for a couple of hours next week to conduct a customer drop-in session.

 

[post meeting] SW update 17/6/16:

 

The extensive survey of the sewers in St Mary Bourne continued throughout this week – the third week of survey.

 

 

 

Four kilometres of public and private sewers have now been surveyed, resulting in a significant number of locations being identified where groundwater is infiltrating the network.

 

 

 

These include the sewers near Bournside, Holdway Cottages, the Bourne Valley Inn, Bourne Meadows, Barford House and at the new Cressington housing development. Further major infiltration has been found in sewers in fields at sites near The Black Barn, Priorhurst and Butler’s Farm. Many more sites have been identified and some repairs have already been made.

 

 

 

Immediately prior to survey, the sewers are being cleansed via high pressure jetting, encouraging increased flows to the wastewater pumping station and away from the village. Four tankers are sucking down the levels of groundwater in the sewers to allow the survey to take place. Again Southern Water apologises for the inconvenience and disruption which this causes but repeats that, finding the leaks in this way, is the quickest way to remove tankers from St Mary Bourne altogether. The survey wok will continue next week and probably until the end of this month.

 

 

 

We have also installed a larger pump in the pumping station to slowly increase the flows away from the station to 28 litres per second – an unprecedented high for this station. We are closely monitoring performance so as not to exert too much pressure on the long rising main from St Mary Bourne to Longparish.

 

 

 

I shall update you again at the end of next week’s survey. Meanwhile, every resident will shortly receive a letter from Southern Water explaining what we are doing to resolve the sewer issues in St Mary Bourne and will advertise the dates of  weekly customer ‘drop-in’ sessions in the Club Room of the Village Centre so that we can reply directly to any questions. 

 

 

 

Weed cutting:

 

 

 

Vitacress have started their weed cutting.

 

 

 

Meeting with members of FEG and EA on 24/6/16 to take forward weed cutting.  There are scheduled times to cut (and flow-down) or cut and set-aside.  Exceptions can be granted. The FEG does have concerns that water I being held back by uncut weed.  Bio-concerns about creatures (mainly insects and invertebrates) has a an influence on the part of the EA about not cutting (or granting permission)

 

 

 

There is also an EA operative who will give advice about bank restoration on 24/6. (Gangbridge Lane and Lake/Bourne).

 

 

 

Clem Jones will be attending a Pathfinder meeting on 23/6 (as an invitee representing SMB PC)

 

 

 

From Sarah Cooney (2 June):

 

I have just done the measurement of the well at Valley Farm in Stoke this afternoon. The water has risen another 2cm since the 15 May, so we are still rising here. Unfortunately, because I only started doing the levels in October 2014, I can’t compare it to levels at the same time in 2014 following that very wet winter.  

 

I will keep doing measurements every two weeks – hopefully we will see it start to fall soon… 

 

2016

cm

d

Comments

3rd Jan

356

-356

Level rising; river down

16th Jan

234

122

Level rising; river down

24th Jan

198

36

Level rising: springs up

1st Feb

121

77

Level rising; river flowing

14th Feb

117

4

Level rising; river flowing

2nd Mar

114

3

Level rising; river flowing

15th Mar

116

-2

Level falling; river flowing

2nd Apr

113

3

Level rising; river flowing

19th Apr

110

3

Level rising; river flowing

2nd May

105

5

Level rising; river flowing

15th May

100

5

Level rising; river flowing

2nd June

98

2

Level rising; river flowing

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From Clem Jones:

 

 

 

St Mary Bourne Flood Risk Summary (as at 1 June 2016)

 

 

 

Date

1/6/16

Status

All levels are now falling. 

The month of May has been very variable in terms of water levels. 

All levels went up during the month and caused some increased sewage issues. 

It is also unusual that the levelshave remained at their annual high since the beginning of February.

 

 

 

Note 1.

 

The measures at the Vernham Dean Bore Hole and the gauge at Holdway Cottage are from the ground base and are depth of water.

 

 

 

Note 2.

 

The measure in the Summerhaugh well is the space between the kitchen floor and the top of the water. This is effectively the ground water level at this point in the valley.

 

 

 

 

Location

1/6

Mid-May

1/5

Comments

Vernham Dean Bore

112m

115m

114cm

 

Well at Valley Farm, Stoke

98

100

105 (2/5)

 

Springs at Stoke

n/a

n/a

n/a

 

Gauge at Holdway

36mm

48mm

42mm

 

Spring at Holdway

Running

Running

Running

 

Well at Summerhaugh

69cm

 

62cm

67cm

 

 

 

 

It is worth noting that the river is now falling faster than the ground water, clearly the very high ground water is now draining away.

 

For the benefit of SW and those trying to get better forecasts it is worth reprising what has happened this spring given the sewage issues and the additional information I have obtained.

 

On 25 Jan the big springs around the White House in Ibthorpe burst forth, (these springs create an instant river about 6cms deep and 2m wide).

 

This river made its way down the valley filling up the various gravel beds as it went.

 

It arrived at the gravel pits in Stoke on 30 Jan.

 

At this time there was still no river through SMB, the big Spring at Spring Cottage/Farm wasup but there was no river above Wurrage and only some puddles up to Stoke.

 

On 1 Feb the river filled up and came all though, all the levels came up at once, in the village of SMB the river rose by 20cms and the well by 10cms

 

SW had to start pumping on the 2nd from the pumping station and through the village by the 8 Feb

 

The ground water and river increases became matched between 2 and 9 of Feb

 

After the Jan rise at Ibthorpe up to the end of Feb, the river continued to rise finally reaching Little Dale, (the first house in Upton when approaching from Ibthorpe). 

 

The river bed is now dry above the White House in Ibthorpe, it will be interesting to see what happens when the White House springs dry up.

 

The two members of the public then left the meeting.

 

5.2 Black Garden – Update (if any):

 

None.

 

 

 

5.3 Neighbourhood Plan — Update:

 

 

 

Read out by the clerk on behalf of Cllr Dixon:

 

 

 

Post May consultation with the parish residents and statutory consultees:

 

 

 

"The LTPG will now have to look at all the comments, meet with the Planning Dept at B&DBC, and adjust the final consultation draft. I will ensure that it comes back to the PC for a final ok (with time to read it) before it gets submitted to the B&DBC.  It will then get sent to an independent reviewer."

 

 

 

5.4 Sovereign land— Batsford set-down/pick-up area — Update (if any):

 

 

 

The chairman is still trying to establish a firm contact with Sovereign.  A suggestion BDBC Cllr Falconer be asked to apply some pressure was suggested

 

 

 

5.5 Casual Vacancy – Poll (if there are two or more candidates) set for 7 July – Nominations closed 10 June — Update (if any).

 

 

 

Two candidates. Fenella Pritchard of Copse Cottage, Derry Down and Carole Whitlock of Hirst Copse, SMB.

 

 

 

The statement of persons nominated will be placed on the PC’s noticeboards, the PC’s website and a link from FB/BVS by Wednesday 15 June.  The clerk has also forwarded a copy of the statement to H&V for possible inclusion in the July issue.

 

 

 

5.6 BDBC: Licensing Act 2003 Premises Licence Variation Application — The Bourne Valley Inn, SMB, SP11 6BT – Extend outdoor beer garden area.

 

 

 

The clerk pointed out that back in April the PC had minuted:

 

 

 

“7.4 Advice of Planning Applications considered by BDBC:

 

 

 

...

 

 

 

7.4.2. 16/00125/LDPO — Disused watercress bed adjacent to the Bourne Valley Inn, Upper Link, SMB — Certificate of lawfulness for the proposed extension of landscape to scrub area to create larger beer garden.

 

 

 

Refused on 11/3/16.

 

 

 

Reasons: A full planning application should have been submitted.”

 

 

 

The clerk is not aware of any new planning application being lodged with BDBC to date for development of the site into a beer garden.

 

 

 

Decision: No objection. However the council has concerns about pedestrian safety (on what is a blind bend) with regards to children and adult drinkers from this location adjacent to the B3048.

 

 

 

6. Finance

 

 

 

6.1 Lloyds Bank Cheque Signing mandate — Update:

 

 

 

Mandate sent.  No reply to date.

 

 

 

6.2 National Joint Council for Local Government Services – New Pay Scales

 

 

 

On Annex 1 (page 3) the clerk is currently on SCP22, as agreed at the March 2016 Full Council meeting.

 

 

 

The previous hourly rate was £10.527 (for a 78h contracted month this equals £9,853.20pa) and this has now risen to £10.632 backdated to 1/4/16 (for a 78h contracted month this equals £9,951.48pa).

 

 

 

On Annex 2 (page 5) if the clerk is still in the employ of SMB PC on 1/4/17 he would move to SCP23.  All scales are subject to an increase from 1/4/17.  The SCP23 scale is £11.054ph (for a 78h contract month this equals £10,346.52).

 

 

 

6.2.1 For 2016/17 — to be implemented immediately and backdated to 1 April 2016.

 

 

 

Cllr Wurzer and Cllr Styles proposed that the 2016/17 increase be approved and backdated to 1/6/17. The council approved the new 2016/17 pay scale for the clerk unanimously.

 

 

 

6.2.2 For 2017/18 — to be implemented from 1 April 2017. Noted

 

 

 

6.6 Monthly accounts

 

 

 

6.6.1 May (revisit following belated arrival of bank statements last month).  The accounts are represented and now reconciled so that they may be approved.

 

 

 

Account

Amount

Treasurers Account

6,239.24

Investment Account

40,470.79

Petty Cash Account

8.05

Lloyds TSB Fixed Term Deposit

20,000.00

Less un-presented cheques

6,010.04

Closing Balance

60,708.04

 

 

 

 

 

#1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#1

 

 

 

#1 Balance in Investment Account & Closing Balance includes balance of £287.39 of Neighbourhood Plan Funds (drawn from £4,650.00 grant payment from the Groundwork UK grant received in September 2015)) and £1,390.00 of Lengthsman grant from HCC (drawn from balance of 2015/16 grant £1,390.00) held on behalf of 10 associate parish and town councils.

 

Two payments have been made prior to the 12 April Full Council Meeting but after 31 March 2016 (YE) and were agreed on three councillor’ signatures. The payments made on 1/4/16 and 5/4/16 respectively were:

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No

Amount

Mr FA Tarrant (Litter Pick Q4)

2545

257.40

HMRC (PAYE Q4 2015/16)

2544

515.48

TOTAL

 

772.88

 

 

 

Payments made since the Full Council Meeting on 12 April 2016:

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No

Amount

AECOM #2

2574

5,193.00

Auditing Solutions Ltd

2575

288.00

BT

2576

201.85

SSE (unmetered electric)

2577

150.21

Cllr Colin Henderson (bolts, etc for play equipment repair)

2578

6.99

TOTAL

 

5,840.05

 

 

 

The above payments were agreed at the Planning Committee Meeting on 26 April 2016.

 

 

 

#2 This cheque was a re-write of cheque no 2570 which had been refused by our bankers due to signing mandate errors. Cheque 2570 has been returned to the PC and has been marked ‘Void’ and retained on file.

 

 

 

Receipts since the Full Council Meeting held on 12 April 2016 (into Business Investment Account):

 

 

 

Source

Date

Amount

Q1 2016/17 Fishing License

4/4/16

720.00

SSE (Wayleave)

4/4/16

42.34

BDBC Litter Grant 2016/17  and BDBC SEA Grant for Neighbourhood Plan #3

11/4/16

5,450.70

Bank interest #4

11/4/16

1.12

Model Yacht Club License 2016/17

18/4/16

144.00

BDBC Precept and Grants 2016/17 #5

25/4/16

23,702.50

HMRC (Vat refund for 2015/16)

28/4/16

2,810.36

 TOTAL

 

32,871.02

 

 

 

#3, 4 & 5

 

 

 

Remittance advices received for all these payments during April.

 

 

 

#3 This payment comprises:

 

 

 

Litter Grant for 16/17

£1,123.20

SEA grant for Neighbourhood Plan

£4,327.50

Total

£5,450.70

 

#4 Interest had been previously estimated at £1.00 but was in fact £1.12

 

 

 

#5 This payment comprises:

 

 

 

Precept 16/17 (1 of 2 instalments)

£9.748.50

Council Tax Support Grant 16/17

£1,503.00

Limited Grant 16/17

£1,100.00

Grass Cutting Grant 16/17

£6,005.00

Wicket Maintenance Grant

£5,346.00

Total

£23,702.50

 

 

 

The following receipt had been assumed to have been received last month but in fact were not paid till the following month’s accounts (see 6.6.2)

 

 

 

Lengthsman Grant for 10 Associate councils

£10,000.00

Lengthsman Grant for SMB PC

£1,000.00

Lengthsman Commission for SMB PC

£1,100.00

Total

£12,100.00

 

 

 

CDFG for Neighbourhood Plan, as at 30/4/2016 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c.

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

287.39

c/f

 

 

 

287.39

 

 

 

SEA Grant for Neighbourhood Plan as at 30/4/2016 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

0.00

AECOM

 

4,327.50 +vat

12/4/16

- 4,327.50

AECOM (refused cheque)

4,327.50 + vat

 

4/16

0.00

AECOM

 

4,327.50 + vat

26/4/16

- 4,327.50

BDBC SEA Grant

4,327.50

 

4/16

0.00

c/f

 

 

 

0.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lengthsman funds, as at 30/4/16 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c, on behalf of the 10 associate town and parish councils.

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

3,230.00

Ecchinswell PC

 

280.00

12/4/16

2,950.00

Longparish PC

 

190.00

12/4/16

2,760.00

Whitchurch TC

 

220.00

12/4/16

2,540.00

Hurstbourne Priors PC

 

480.00

12/4/16

2,060.00

Highclere PC

 

160.00

12/4/16

1,900.00

Newtown PC

 

280.00

12/4/16

1,620.00

East Woodhay PC

 

90.00

12/4/16

1,530.00

Burghclere

 

140.00

12/4/16

1,390.00

c/f

 

 

 

1,390.00

 

 

 

The clerk is discussing with the councils who had unspent monies from 2015/16 as to bringing forward extra work asap. 

 

 

 

Payments Due at Meeting:

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No.

Amount

Derek Kane (salary)

2579

664.21

Derek Kane (expenses)

2580

9.02

Cllr Tony Grunsell (APA refreshment costs

2581

53.33

Viking (CSW sundries)

2582

110.99

Viking (office stationery and sundries)

2583

115.68

Premier Grounds (Grounds Maintenance)

2584

435.00

St Mary Bourne Village Centre (Hall Hire for APA)

2585

30.00

RBS (annual software maintenance)

2586

135.60

Andover Printing Company (for NP Draft Info booklets)

2587

309.40

Total

 

1,863.23

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Invoices raised since last Full Council Meeting:

 

 

 

To

Inv No.

Dated

Amount

None

 

 

0.00

Total

 

 

0.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Provision was made for the new reset buffer value of £1,000 for any unforeseen expenses this month.  It had been agreed to transfer £2,800.00 from the Business Investment account to the Treasurers account.

 

 

 

The acceptance of the un-reconciled accounts had been proposed by Cllr Grunsell and seconded by Cllr Wurzer and unanimously agreed by the Full Council.

 

 

 

The acceptance of the now reconciled accounts from the previous month was proposed by Cllr Grunsell        and seconded by Cllr Wurzer and unanimously agreed by the Full Council.

 

 

 

6.6.2 June

 

 

 

Account

Amount

Treasurers Account

1,158.91

Investment Account

49,771.91

Petty Cash Account

4.34

Lloyds TSB Fixed Term Deposit

20,000.00

Less un-presented cheques

793.90

Closing Balance

60,708.04

 

 

 

 

 

#1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#1

 

 

 

#1 Balance in Investment Account & Closing Balance includes £11,390.00 of Lengthsman grant from HCC (drawn from balance of 2015/16 grant £1,390.00 and £10,000 2016/17 grant)held on behalf of 10 associate parish and town councils.

 

 

 

Payments made since the Full Council Meeting on 10 May 2016:

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No

Amount

SMB Jazz (conditional grant)

2588

500.00

Derek’s Garden Machinery Services

2589

210.57

SSE (Sports Pavilion)

2590

56.87

SSE (Games Area)

2591

33.52

TOTAL

 

800.96

 

 

 

The above payments were agreed at the Planning Committee Meeting on 24 May 2016.

 

 

 

Receipts since the Full Council Meeting held on 10 May 2016 (into Business Investment Account):

 

 

 

Source

Date

Amount

HCC 2016/17 Lengthsman Grants and Commissions #2

9/5/16

12,100.00

Bank interest #3

9/5/16

1.12

 TOTAL

 

12,101.12

 

 

 

#2 Breakdown of Lengthsman receipt

 

 

 

Lengthsman Grant for 10 Associate councils

£10,000.00

Lengthsman Grant for SMB PC

£1,000.00

Lengthsman Commission for SMB PC

£1,100.00

Total

£12,100.00

 

 

 

#3 Bank interest coincidently the same value as that what was paid in April.

 

 

 

CDFG for Neighbourhood Plan, as at 31/5/2016 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c.

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

287.39

Andover Printing Co

 

307.00

 

- 19.61

c/f

 

 

 

- 19.61 #4

 

#4The PC had agreed at the May meeting to pay for the £19.61 shortfall.

 

 

 

SEA Grant for Neighbourhood Plan as at 31/5/2016 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c #5

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

0.00

c/f

 

 

 

0.00

 

 

 

#5 Retained on minutes as there may be further grant and payments regarding SEA Grant.

 

 

 

Lengthsman funds, as at 31/5/16 held by SMB PC, in Business Investment a/c, on behalf of the 10 associate town and parish councils.

 

 

 

Item

Payments

In

Payments Out

Date

Balance

b/f

 

 

 

1,390.00

HCC Lengthsman Grants for associate councils

10.000.00

 

9/5/16

11.390.00

c/f

 

 

 

11,390.00

 

 

 

The clerk is discussing with the councils who had unspent monies from 2015/16 as to bringing forward extra work asap. 

 

 

 

Payments Due at Meeting:

 

 

 

Payee

Cheque No.

Amount

Derek Kane (salary)

2592

664.21

Derek Kane (expenses)

2593

9.02

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance

2594

699.00

Premier Grounds and Garden Maintenance – Lengthsman Ashmansworth PC

2595

384.00

Joel McCormack (for SMB Football – to cover relocated match in April 2016)

2596

47.00

LexisNexis (10th Edition Arnold-Baker Local Council Administration Reference Book)

2597

92.00

FA Tarrant Q1 2016/17 Litter Pick

2598

280.80

Total

 

2,176.03

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Invoices raised since last Full Council Meeting:

 

 

 

To

Inv No.

Dated

Amount

None

 

 

0.00

Total

 

 

0.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Provision to be made for £530.33 for HMRC Payment Q1/16-17 due on 5 July and £1,000 for any unforeseen expenses this month.  It was agreed to transfer £3,400.00 from the Business Investment account to the Treasurers account.

 

The acceptance of the reconciled accounts for this month was proposed by Cllr Culley and seconded by Cllr Wurzer and unanimously agreed by the Full Council.

 

 

 

6.7 (not on agenda) Cllr Randall made his thanks on behalf of all the who were involved in the Queen’s 90th Birthday tea party for which the PC had recently made a grant towards.

 

 

 

The chairman offered his congratulations to Cllr Randall and especially Gwen Randall who chaired the organisation of this.  The chairman added that he thought the free tea and scones (the latter baked my many form the parish) was excellent. 

 

 

 

The chairman did query the use of the PC’s grant which was understood to be used for a commemorative mug for every child in the parish but which was instead used to create 250 certificates for every child in the parish instead.

 

 

 

7.  Planning:

 

 

 

7.1.1 Report from Planning Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 24 May 2016 (previously circulated).

 

 

 

7.1.2 Matters arising from the Report: None.

 

 

 

7.2 Planning Applications for discussion at meeting:

 

 

 

16/01587/HSE — 4 Applegate, SMB, SP11 6DT — Part conversion of garage to living accommodation, infill existing car port to form garden room and ground floor shower room.

 

 

 

Decision: No objection.

 

 

 

7.3  Trees — Notices of Intent (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.4 Advice of Planning Applications considered by BDBC (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.5 Planning applications withdrawn to be noted (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.6 Planning appeals (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.7 Compliance (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.8 Other parish councils’ planning matters (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.9 Other Planning matters (if any): None.

 

 

 

7.10 (not on agenda) The chairman expressed his thanks to Cllr Grunsell for sourcing shop shutters through his trade links to a local firm (Stockbridge) and saved about half the cost of a firm’s quote from the Midlands.

 

 

 

8.  Recreation Ground and Lake:

 

 

 

8.1 Stowe Sports school seeking to repeat use of the MUGA and an adjacent piece of the Recreation Ground for children sports on 10, 11 and 12 August 9am – 3pm.

 

 

 

Granted.

 

 

 

 

 

8.2 Consider Vitaplay quote for remedial works on SMB & Stoke Play areas on Medium and Low Risk items (there are no High risk items).

 

 

 

Park quote.  There is only circa £40 worth of Medium Risk works set against a minimum charge of £385.

 

 

 

The council had a discussion regarding the continuing cost of repair / refurb for what is now ageing equipment and views about using developer funds to create a new site in the Recreation Ground area and thus create more parking spaces for the Recreation Ground, Village Centre, Village Shop and Bowling Club.

 

 

 

The clerk was asked in the first instance to contact the Hampshire Playing Fields Association (for which the PC is a member) for a site visit and advice on this matter.

 

 

 

9.  Item of Correspondence to be circulated:

 

 

 

9.1 Suggestion from a resident for a village ‘sign-up’ for faster broad band.

 

 

 

Good idea. Clerk to ask resident to contact K.Aziz who has been raising this issue in H&V.

 

 

 

9.2 HCC: News for Local Councils – May 2016. Noted.

 

 

 

9.3 HCC: Newsletter for Planning for Minerals and Waste (Spring 2016) Noted.

 

 

 

9.4 Police: April and May Beat Newsletters. Noted.

 

 

 

9.5 HARAH Rural Housing Week 11- 15 July Invitation – 3 reps from PC at one of six locations (nearest is Micheldever) — deadline 20 June 2016.

 

 

 

The chairman and Cllr Randall to attend the one at Pamber Heath (within the BDBC borough).  Cllr Styles also expressed an interest, but he will need to check his diary.  The clerk pointed out that as he is away on 20 June he would have to have firm responses on 17 June for rsvp’ing.

 

 

 

10.  HALC/BDAPTC/SLCC/Training & Conferences Reports:

 

 

 

10.1 HALC: Councillor Commission. Noted.

 

 

 

10.2 HALC: Continuation of help-desk service for planning queries. Noted.

 

 

 

10.3 HALC: Hampshire Devolution. Noted.

 

 

 

10.4 HALC: LCR questionnaire on Devolution. Noted.

 

 

 

10.5 HALC: E-Update for June. Noted.

 

 

 

10.6 BDBC: PC Liaison: Clerks and Chairman — summary from Cllr Culley and the clerk who attended on 7 June.

 

 

 

Cllr Culley's notes:

 

 

 

The presentation on Devolution by Cllr. Sanders described the various scenarios of the process so far. The current situation is that both HCC and the 4 remaining borough councils are looking at the viability of `going it alone`. BDBC plan to extend the involvement of local people in the process.

 

 

 

The CEO, Mel Barrett, gave a presentation on major policy and development proposals. An overview of the Local Plan, Borough Housing Strategy, Manydown Development Leisure Park Regeneration and commercial regeneration at Basing View with the creation of 12,500 new jobs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Local Plan 2011-2029 includes the building of nearly 15,500 homes, 900 of which to be sited in villages. The Housing and Homelessness Strategy is to be updated and will include a new approach in seeking to help those people who do not qualify for social housing/affordable housing, but who nevertheless will not be able to afford to buy a house at market price. I suggest that the Parish Council ask Cllr. Falconer to keep us and our parishioners informed as regards this as it may help with the problem of finding buyers for the shared ownership houses.

 

 

 

The clerk’s notes:

 

 

 

The Police division's Rural Inspector gave a presentation, and speeding through villages continues to be a concern from Hampshire residents in these locales.

 

 

 

Hampshire has c.100 Speedwatch schemes in total.  He explained the Speedwatch scheme and its workings which is about EDUCATE not PUNISH.

 

 

 

A suggestion from the floor to him about CSW schemes working together was welcomed.

 

 

 

The Inspector felt it would be a very good idea to have ALL the Hampshire schemes out on the road together on the same date and time to reinforce the EDUCATE message of CSW every now and then.

 

 

 

I asked him about suggestions for attracting more volunteers.  He suggested an idea of contacting the local school to have children with volunteer parents and teachers/ teacher's assistants attend a planned CSW session.

 

 

 

11.  Footpaths:

 

 

 

Path behind Bell’s Field.   Continues to be compromised by hedge overgrowth from adjacent property boundaries. The clerk to ask owner/occupiers to attend.  The related issue regarding barbed wire on what is now Hyde Housing land needs to be addressed.  The clerk had received an unsatisfactory reply from Hyde Housing but has not had a response to his reply to this reply to-date.

 

 

 

The clerk also asked for clarification on a sliver of land (triangle-shaped) behind the bowling club but also behind the wire fence of Bell’s Field.  Was it part of the recent Bell’s Field sale or is it parish land as part of the transfer  in the past to house the bowling club and new green?

 

 

 

12.  Highways/Transport/Services:

 

 

 

12.1 Planters (for The Summerhaugh) — update.

 

 

 

The clerk to liaise with Albert Norty (Hants Highways) about coordination of removal of posts and placement of planters.  Clerk to source reflector stickers for off and near side sides of planters.  The council to fund fill of planters and stocking of plants. It is understood that The George has offered to look after the plantings with their current garden maintenance team.  Clerk to clarify if extra cost is to be met by PC (which should still represent value for money) or if the cost will be borne by The George.

 

 

 

12.2 Highways — update (if any)

 

 

 

None.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9:25pm.

 

 

 

These minutes are subject to approval at the Parish Council Meeting on 12 July 2016.

 

Free business joomla templates